I can't saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some 3m scaffolding boards to make into vegetable beds. I was able to cut them in to 2m and 1m lengths using a saw. I rested the wood on the sawhorses, leaving the extra 1m hanging off unsupported.

I managed to keep the kerf pretty much dead on the line. The problem was in sawing the last half inch - the unsupported length would start hanging and would splinter off. On the second boarf, I tried supporting the extra length with my right hand and trying to saw with my left hand which was rubbish. On the third board I tried to placed the cut line between the sawhorses and use my left hand to try and support the weight, which resulted in me almost being smacked in the face by both boards as they fell.

What would have been a better way to do this? Cut from the opposite side?

I'm also in need of some better tools - my stanley fatmax measuring tape is rather flimsy. I need a 90* square edge - speedsquare, engineer's square or carpenter's square?

Any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
three (or more) trestles, or a longer sawhorse or bench, or an assistant to hold the end.

For clumsy work or pruning, you start by cutting part-way through what will be the underside, then start on the top. This prevents excessive tearing. But you have to trim the cut edge afterwards.

Sponsored Links
three (or more) trestles, or a longer sawhorse or bench, or an assistant to hold the end.

For clumsy work or pruning, you start by cutting part-way through what will be the underside, then start on the top. This prevents excessive tearing. But you have to trim the cut edge afterwards.
Thanks. I'll remember this for next time. I wasn't too bothered about tearing given that it was for a garden veg bed but wanted to know how to deal with it next time.

Most hand saws have a 90 square built into the handle, using the back of the blade...
Thanks. Didn't know that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back