I fixed my shower, but not sure how, help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mira Minilite mixer shower fitting in a downstairs extension. It's maybe 5 years old. A few days ago it stopped running hot, at all, not even lukewarm. I reckoned I might have to replace or fix it so I hunted down the isolating valves. To see if I was turning off the right valves, I ran the shower on max temp setting (still cold water) and turned of the cold valve (I knew it was cold as it also ran to the toilet). I then found I couldn't reach the hot valve so turned the cold valve back on with the intention to get better access later.

At this point I discover that the shower is running hot, I turn the temperate dial back and forth and gives a little whine on hot but still works.

Did I somehow clear an airlock? Any ideas what else might have been going on?

We've not had any supply problems or had any work done lately. The only out of the ordinary thing was that this occured when the outside temperature was below zero.

Sponsored Links
I spoke too soon, just tried the shower (without doing anything to valves) and it's back to being cold! Would be grateful for advice.

Sponsored Links
After a lot of faffing about I replaced the cartridge, and once I managed to stop it leaking it now works!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back