I hate flies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We often have the back door open, when weather is reasonable, but I hate having flies in the house, so I use one of those magnetic closing fly screens between the two outer back doors.

Very effective it is, at keeping them out, despite the poor basic design. I put it up in spring, then usually remove it about now as the weather cools down. I in fact took it down two days ago, since when I have been pestered by them in the house.

The bad design - They are designed to be fitted in place via double sided Velcro strips, which could not possibly keep the two mesh panels, split down the centre, in place for long. Last year I made up a frame from 10x10mm to trap the mesh, screwed against the door frame.

An even better idea, would be a single panel, rather than the two panels parting down the middle, pulled together by magnets. A single panel with magnets down each of the sides and attracted to magnets down each side of the frame. Supported by a single batten along the top.

Sponsored Links
I tried to buy a couple of flies from the butchers shop once. “We don’t sell flies" he said. "Well you've got two in the window" I replied. I’ll get my coat.......

We often have the back door open, when weather is reasonable, but I hate having flies in the house, so I use one of those magnetic closing fly screens between the two outer back doors.

Very effective it is, at keeping them out, despite the poor basic design. I put it up in spring, then usually remove it about now as the weather cools down. I in fact took it down two days ago, since when I have been pestered by them in the house.

The bad design - They are designed to be fitted in place via double sided Velcro strips, which could not possibly keep the two mesh panels, split down the centre, in place for long. Last year I made up a frame from 10x10mm to trap the mesh, screwed against the door frame.

An even better idea, would be a single panel, rather than the two panels parting down the middle, pulled together by magnets. A single panel with magnets down each of the sides and attracted to magnets down each side of the frame. Supported by a single batten along the top.

We had one of those a few years ago and they were crap so I built 2 light frameworks and sandwiched fine netting between them. A couple of hinges down one side and 2 magnetic catches on the other edge. Hung as a door on the outside of the back door frame and works perfectly. We can have the back door open during the summer to let the heat out or a breeze blow through and it keeps the flies and wasps out. The downside is if the net gets damaged you have to split the two sides to replace it.
On a number of windows we have fitted the same sort of netting using the sticky backed velcro tape and simply push the netting on to the strip firmly. You have to leave a 'pocket' of slack to be able to grasp the handle and close the window, but again, it keeps them out and lets the air in.

Sponsored Links

I've got a regular problem with flies when the cows are in the back field. I've tried everything but now have it down to a metal curtain on the main door and a lightweight one on the kitchen door, fly papers, yes, yes....I know they are awful but I think of them as temporary and they give me a certain satisfaction that I am getting on top of the b.......s. However, accidentally one day I took a home made cleaning spray to a fly....and was astounded........Having a septic tank my cleaning fluid around the house is a spray with Fairy washing up liquid and white vinegar. I use nothing else these days. Well, one squib with this 'get's the fly' long enough to pick him up with a piece of kitchen towel and flush him down the loo. The satisfaction is immense. It is environmentally friendly too so I don't mind this mild stuff landing on my cupboards/windows as it is so easy to wipe off.
Thrashing about with the zap bat is now a thing of the past.

I use these to assuage my wife's desire to turn back nature, even tho' we live in it! Flies are a no-no. The narrow one works for my conservatory, which has externally mounted sliding doors. 4 cabinet magnets hold it in place, and we just use one door. Works a treat. Made from 1" sq oak and some mesh from Newblinds. The other one is aluminium, and I hang it in the exterior reveal of the back door. Magnets again to close it. Again, refurbed after 18 years with new mesh. (The mesh ain't cheap!)

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 238

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back