Fly screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I hope you are doing fine.
I am looking for some sort of rigid door with a fly net. I want to fit it on outside of back door to stop insects flies etc in summer.
At present we have door that opens inwards and would like to fit also another fly mesh type door on other side that opens outwards.
A sliding door would not be practical by the way.
Looking for something like i have seen on American shows tv etc.

I am in the process of replacing the back doors to PVC and once in place it will be difficult to add anything to it.
If not doors can I at least get some hinges I can add between the wall and new door frame so I can either source these fly screen doors or build them myself later. At least I will have the hinges.
I have outside insulation done so I cannot just attach them to the wall (anywhere), the hinges have to protrude from the main door frame.

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
Build your own? They are basically two stiles and 3 (cross) rails fitted with a pair of rising butt hinges (so they self close) and rhey are clad with fly screen which is stretched over the frame and stapled on.

You'd need something like 44 x 35mm PAR softwood for the door frame (I doubt most back door frames could accommodate more than 35mm thickness in any case and you may even need to build a 3 sided plant-on frame fixed to the existing frame or the wall to carry the new door if your door has limited set back). Fly screen is available from some builders merchants, I've even seen it on Amazon. It is used to wrap buildings before adding larch or cedar cladding (to prevent insects nesting). It is generally a black plastic mesh in my experience, about 1 to 2mm thick

A few years back I made up some 2 x 1in PAR frames and clad them with some fly screen left over from a job so that a friend could fit them inside his attic Velux windows - they were a friction fit in the linings and allowed him to have both windows ajar with airflow through the attic on very warm days (his missus is paranoid about insects)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yonks ago I made a simple 2x1 drama with a centre bar like a theatre flat/painting stretcher. I then covered it with net curtain material.
Later on, I bought some material from a trade iron monger that is essentially an aluminium and plastic kit. Aluminium extrusion with plastic joints. The system has a grove on the inside of one face. The kit’s mesh is placed over the frame and a round oversize plastic cable/hose is pushed into the grove, trapping and tensioning the mesh which is trimmed.

it was 20;years ago but something must be available on Amazon by now?

Much cheaper, Lidl/Aldi often do a nylon mesh with weights on the bottom, magnetic closures and Velcro fixing

Right so there isn't anything on the UK market that I can buy. This has to be built basically.
Amazon and eBay is full of these fly mesh/screens but nothing with a frame.

I got the magnet mesh already but this is rubbish. With this year's winds the magnets don't hold besides I hate these adhesive solutions they leave marks, it's temporary. These fancy but temporary solutions from China all end up in the landfill just after one season.
These aluminium fly mesh doors are so common in US but we cannot get any of it but build ourselves or buy cheap crap from China.
I wish I had a workshop so I can work with aluminium and build it myself because it's so intuitive.

Do you know of any metal profiles I could pre-install together with the new PVC door frame so I can mount these butt hinges to them later on?
To have something to mount it on. I think it would be something L shaped that the door installers would screw in together with the door frame.
Once I have the hinges in place I will more likely build it myself following @JobAndKnock recommendation.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Looking at the first example these come with a whole frame so I need to create enough recess while the old doors are being removed and new PVC frame installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back