I hate my ceiling - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Decorating the lounge, I stripped my ceiling of wallpaper and cleaned it. I then applied one base coat and one top coat. On standing back to admire my handy work, a large bubble appeared. Once dry, I cut around the bubble but it then spread and stripping the base coat and the top coat off the ceiling. On asking advice from a couple of decorators, I was told it was some sort of chemical reaction and they had never seen it before (fat lot of good). I strip the remaining paint off (very easily as it hadn't attached itself to the ceiling at all) and clean it again. I painted it with base coat. It didn't bubble but horrible slashes appeared all over the ceiling. Desperate, I slapped some glue on these areas and painted over it. Seemed to do the job and I managed to finish the lounge. Now slashes are appearing daily. What is wrong with my ceiling??? I need to fix this. I am doing the hall and very worried the same is going to happen. Please HELP.

Sponsored Links
It's not nicotine. The room is in two sections. One half is perfect. I would have thought if it were nicotine, it would affect the whole ceiling.

Is it distemper?? What is distemper??? and if so, what do I do???

please note 10a

Sponsored Links
Sounds fascinating.
It's strange that paint won't hang on to the ceiling when the paper did?
Is it greasy, or dusty?
What kind of paint did you use?

It's definately not greasy. It sort of got a fine dust which when you wash it is fine but when you paint, it still won't take. Then when the paint fell off it had a sort of fine dust again. Washed it again, it was fine but the paint still isn't taking. It's very strange. Our next door neighbour is a painter and decorator and he says he's never seen anything like it. I just don't know what to do.

Whack some diluted PVA on, that should stablise the ceiling. Hopefully :eek:

I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the paint, past the shelf life maybe?

whenever i decorate and come up against stains like that i use dulux weathershield undercoat (trade) seems to adhere well and block the stains.

Sounds like youve got old distemper paint on your ceiling ,which dries white and powdery.It is very hard work to wash off,but try and remove as much as you can with warm soapy water.When dry seal with PVA or better still masonry stableliser solution.Leave 24 hrs then paint over .If that doesnt work I would try papering the ceiling again. Good luck....

Distemper must be decades ago. No idea why it's dusty stuff? But a good coat of PVA should stick anything non-greasy together so's paint will stick OK.
My question on kind of paint not answered yet?

Sorry, the paint I used was Delux base coat and Dulex emulsion for top coat (not cheap stuff), so I don't think the paint's at fault. Also, the second half of the room is perfect - if it were the paint, it would have affected the whole room.

:oops: `Tis distemper for sure. Probably 9 Elms.... I come from 2 generations of decorators. but I`m a plumber. Why did you take the lining paper off the ceiling :?: . PVA diluted has to be the answer.

What is it with all this PVA malarky?....its not a 'cure all'

Mamma.....what do you mean by 'base coat'?...Dulux dont make a paint called 'base coat'....so it must be part of a system.....sounds to me like you have distemper on the ceiling. You can easily tell, just rub your finger over it....it will be powdery.

There no easy answer with distemper....you have to scrub it off or soak it and then scrap it off with a window scraper and then give it a coat of either Alkali resisting primer or Dulux water based stain block sealer...using stabiliser may be risky as it is primarily meant for exteriors prior to painting with masonry paint. the stain block sealer is white so it will help cover the ceiling, although after all the scrubing and scraping you may find the ceiling will need lining or papering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back