I have electric panel heaters, and I want a thermostat with wifi app control.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So as the title says, I have 3 panel heaters in my flat, but only one really needs the fine control i'm after, the other two rarely go on even in dead winter as i'm stingy and my flat is small.

The heaters are mains connected (no plug sockets) so i'm looking for something that ideally will go inline, and can be controlled remotely from an app, even away from home. I'm also on a tight budget, my landlord will pay an electrician to install it but not for the unit itself.

I don't really even need a display, just something that will turn the heater on and off depending on the temp, and allow me to set timers and also turn it on away from home. I have a sonoff switch which allowed me to turn things on and off away from home, but it doesn't have a thermostat element.

I don't know what the amp rating of my panel heaters are, if that matters? I've checked the sticker on the side it doesn't say, just 1000W.

I am ideally looking for advise on what type of product to get, rather than a specific one. I am hoping to get something used on ebay so I need to be open to a range rather than waiting for one specific thing. I have a budget of say £30, which I imagine is only enough to buy used.

Help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The current rating is important as many smart thermostats are only rated at a few amps for gas and oil boilers. 1000 watts is roughly 5A so multiply that by the number of heaters for the total current, assuming they are all the same size of course.

Alternatively a lower rated thermostat can be used to operate a relay that is capable of switching a higher current.

Get it wrong and you can see what happens here.

The current rating is important as many smart thermostats are only rated at a few amps for gas and oil boilers. 1000 watts is roughly 5A so multiply that by the number of heaters for the total current, assuming they are all the same size of course.

Alternatively a lower rated thermostat can be used to operate a relay that is capable of switching a higher current.

Get it wrong and you can see what happens here.[/URL]

Thanks for this advise! I am only looking to control one of the heaters with the thermostat, the others I will turn on manually as needed (hardly ever). So for one 1000W heater I need a 5amp thermostat?

I have noticed some are advertised as underfloor heating thermostats, which run on 120/240V, I assume these might be fit for purpose? They seem expensive though...

Personally I would aim for something in excess of 5A. The extra capacity will extend the life of the switching contact.

Underfloor thermostats often also have an underfloor sensor to make sure that the floor surface doesn't get too hot, so may not work without that being connected.

Sponsored Links
Presumably the heater you want to control is wired in via an FCU? (Single plate). You could do worse than replacing the fcu with a 1 gang 13a socket then buy a plugin smart Plug with temperature sensor - example Here, put a 13a plug on the heater and off you go.
Or there is a Sonoff relay module with a temperature probe BUT even though the things are rated at 10A I've had problems running a 2kw heater off them so can't recommend.

This would work:

This would work:

Unless i'm mistaken, this doesn't have a thermostat built in...

Don't sound stingy to me. If you are as stingy as you claim, you'd by a 500w oil radiator for £20 from screwfix. It's perfect for 1 person heating at your feet, and the thermostate takes away your need to control it. Bend down to turn it off is quicker than using an app. So, you save both money, and effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back