I have wind trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And also a problem with my boiler...

It's a vintage Glow-Worm Spacesaver and is wall mounted on the gable-end of a terraced house. Whenever there is an easterly wind (the coldest one) the boiler cuts out. It will re-light and fire up again without any problems until the next gust of wind.

Is there a technical reason for this happening or is it simply down to the location of the boiler and the strength of the wind?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
WHen was it serviced last?! Some boilers in some locations do seem to suffer more than others though.

It was serviced about 3 years ago and needed a new thermocouple. When you look through the inspection window you can see the pilot light being moved by the wind.

So is the pilot light being blown out or is something being triggered to shut the boiler down?

Because I live in an area of terraced housing there is a 'wind-tunnel' effect that my wall seems to take the worst of. Does anything exist that can be fitted outside to limit the effect of the wind?

The pilot has to keep the thermocouple hot, or the gas will be shut off.
Dire things can happen if you restrict the flue in any way, which makes it difficult ina windy spot. If lack of servicing means the pilot is too weak, that could make the difference.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the replies. Now I know why the person I bought the house from left very clear instructions on how to relight the boiler :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back