I Like his style!

what do you get if you push a chinaman down a hill now?

A spring roll

quick exit.............................................................................................

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the thread Dave M. My daughter required an unusual news article for her English project at school and your contribution fits the bill perfectly.

No healthy person wants to die.* Suicide occurs when an individual’s suffering is severe and he/she believes there is no hope for it to go away. Suicide is perceived as a way to end the suffering, like shooting an injured horse to put it out of it’s misery.

Dealing with suicide depends upon working on both aspects: restoring hope, and having a plan to stop the suffering.

Whether it’s due to "physical" pain such as spread of cancer to the spine or "emotional" pain like depression and the dysphoria (anxiety, rage, depression and despair) experienced in the borderline personality disorder, the individual is suffering severely. Efforts must be made to stop or at least markedly reduce their suffering. While much can be learned from suffering, it’s best to stop and/or prevent it - as long as the treatment(s) don’t make the individual worse. There are many ways to accomplish this goal including medication, meditation, physical and psychological therapy, spiritual perspective, etc.

Providing hope is just as crucial. Short term suffering can usually be managed as long as there is a realistic hope that the suffering will stop. Knowledge is extremely important in this regard. When the individual incorrectly believes no hope exists, the suicide risk goes up.

Psychosis - misinterpreting reality - may result in suicide attempts because the incorrect perceptions can cause severe suffering and a false belief that no hope exists.

Some people with terminal illnesses commit suicide before severe suffering starts. These individuals need reassurance that their suffering will be treated medically so the individual can enjoy the time they have left. The Hospice organization has been extremely effective with this goal. People usually need to believe there is a purpose to their life. It is a spiritual issue rather than a medical or psychiatric one. I believe strongly that everyone has enormous value, and can become a loving, purposeful individual. To me, the near death experience gives clues about what happens after we die. Most accounts show that those who have "seen the light" considered it a wonderful experience and they no longer fear death. Those who have unsuccessfully committed suicide yet also "saw the light" report it was a bad experience and the were told not to take their own life - and that the consequences for committing suicide would be great. The books "Embraced By the Light" by Betty Eadie and "Transformed by the Light" by Dr. Melvin Morse have been particularly useful in this regard for my patients and in my efforts to help with suicidal thoughts and urges.

*The exception is when an individual chooses to die because one’s life isn’t as important as something the individual believes in. This includes both heroism and a belief system that the individual’s life isn’t important. There are many examples including movies (Armageddon), books (A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens), Japanese kamikaze pilots, and a soldier falling on a grenade to protect his comrades.

Sponsored Links
I had a bad reaction (anaphylaxis) to a drug given in hospital a while back.

I was having a test to determine my hormone levels. To do this, the nurse was to inject a drug which would stimulate the pituitary gland which in turn would stimulate hormone production.

Just before I was due the injection, I stopped the nurse and asked if there were any side-effects. She told me that there were but they were rare (1 in 20K). As soon as the needle went in, I started feeling very light-headed. Apparently all I said was, "I feel dread-" then collapsed.

My poor Mother was there (she had driven me in) watching it all unfold. Within the space of 30 seconds, there were a dozen people round me. I was being fitted with monitors, IV lines and injected with adrenaline to boost my HR.

I was, of course, oblivious to all of this. After what I said, I felt extremely calm. I knew something was awfully wrong and I knew I was going to die, but I felt very calm and at ease. I thought about my family, wife, kids Mum etc.. but did not feel any anger or upset or regret.

I did not "see" anyone or anything. No beckoning dead relatives (thank goodness, one would have been my ex-wife! Only kidding) or tunnels of light and certainly not a geezer next to a pair of gates.

The next thing I knew, I was coming round in a bay next to my Mum.

The nurses told me my BP plummeted to 45/25. She explained this rapid loss of BP causes what is known as a "feeling of impending doom" where you realise you are about to die, after which the monitor packed in measuring, then my heart briefly stopped. This all happened in a matter of seconds.

Scary.

But I appreciate all the more being here now & with things that I got angry and irate about before, I am now like, "So what?"

It really does give you a new perspective on life.

Just shows ya what a reaction a little prick can have. Speaking of which has anyone heard from softas :LOL:

oh ffs, it wasn't even that high :rolleyes:
all he'd have done if he jumped would be a few broken limbs..
they were about 3 feet from him in the basket, and had the airbag set up so just lunge at him and grab him, if he falls off sideways to get away from you he lands in the airbag... :rolleyes:

it wasn't a suicide attempt anyway, if you look he was trying to hang up a banner.. probably the foreign equivalent of "fathers for justice"..

Sponsored Links
Back