I like James Blunt

That said, all the best to him, I'm sure he couldn't care less what I think.
OK. So why do you he's an object of collective derision?

Is it just him, or are people subconsciously looking for someone who's easy to actively dislike?

Sponsored Links
People feel the need to belong – they want to be part of the herd and not perceived as different. To some extent society would not function without this consensus.
The consensus is exploited by those "in power" in order to protect their own vested interests, which is to keep the majority of wealth in the hands of the minority.
Government needs consensus to operate, and an obliging, submissive and distracted electorate suits its purposes very nicely. That’s why we have Coronation Street.

That said, all the best to him, I'm sure he couldn't care less what I think.
OK. So why do you he's an object of collective derision?

Is it just him, or are people subconsciously looking for someone who's easy to actively dislike?

Well, that is a good point he does seem to get some bad press, and probably a lot of it is bandwagon jumping. Don't know really, herd / flock mentality again?

Sponsored Links
It seems to be a mentality in this country, they build people up and then they try to knock them down. Take David Beckham, he is portrayed at times as being a bit dim but he is the highest paid footballer in the world without having to be the best footballer in the world, how dim is that?

JB's style is bland, and therefore the mainstream (which used to be more "underground" years ago) sees him as uncool. They need an enemy.
I can't help but wonder where does this need come from. Do you know?

One theory I can come up with is:
Imagine a group of people who were part of an underground scene for music. They have credibilty, many of them make some good tunes.

They see the mainstream as a pool of bland corporate naff music, and deride it at every opportunity.

Then said crowd find themselves successful, with the corporate business thowing money at them.

The attitude that they had won't just go away now they have a few notes in the bank. They probably see the likes of Blunt as coming from the camp of those that were successful when they were in the shadows of the music industry. Many others who express hatred of him no doubt feel similar to them, as some kind of association. (See people's posts on feeling the need to belong).

But no doubt its to try to add to their feeling of being cool.

In addition though: There are so much other dire rubbish in the charts that the Blunts of this world bare the brunt probably because his name springs to mind because he's so successful.

Why is it that he almost always includes the line "Here I go again" in just about every song?

Used to think, ok, take him or leave him, but after appearance on Top Gear, got the distinct impression that he took great delight in taking the pi** out of himself, and that he couldn't give a to** what the rest of us thought about him.
Am now a convert.

If he's the object of derision, why do so many people buy his records?
By your question I take it that you believe it to possible that he isn't the object of derision. If you think that, then you're wrong, so ignoring that wrongness, I guess you're simply asking who buys his records. I would have thought the process was fairly simple, and quite obvious, but it's this:

unknown->music published->rich/famous->celebrity->derided

My name is Mat and I Like James Blunt

:)

I have both his albums and I think they are good

:)

Softus... are you actually James Blunt? this is the internet after all :eek:

I like james blunts music.. But he should stick to writing ..His voice make me switch over. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back