I love Artexed ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do most property programs hate Artex ? The first thing the presenter usually says is "that Artex will have to go" What is wrong with the stuff, I remember it was used to cover up unsightly cracks, it's easy to patch, easy to decorate, a devil to remove. Just enjoy !!!

Sponsored Links
Cos it looks naff, outdated & is only marginally more fashionable than Gyproc coving or farting at your in-laws dinner party; nice flat, square ceilings is what everyone is doing now. :cool:

Artex was only invented to give developers an increased profit margin & save on the cost of plastering but it keeps all the good guys busy plastering over it now :LOL: . Some of the Artex patterns that were developed after the original stipple did require some measure of experience but nothing compared to the skill/cost of plastering. If the ceiling joists correctly sized & ceilings correctly boarded out & fully tapped before skimming, it shouldn’t crack unless you keep a heard of elephants upstairs. Unless the Artex is falling off, it can be successfully plastered by someone who knows what they are doing, no need to remove it & if it’s the older variety containing low grade asbestos, not desirable either; although it’s not as hazardous as some would have you believe. ;)

I, along with a lot of other DIYers, would disagree, I'm talking mainly about the unpatterned variety that is more easily applied and patched. I'm sure it put a lot of plasterers out of work but that's life ! As to the dinner party habits are such comments allowed here ?

Its hideous, whilst once it may have been fashionable it is now only used by developers to reduce costs. No other reason nowadays.

If you like it you're probably a cheapskate! You're in a minority yottie.

Sponsored Links
Bang on Richard C, and actually artex can be a pain in the ass to paint, when it hasn't been applied properly (ie sealer first) it lifts and when applied to thickly you get bits falling off.
Even worse is artexed walls don't get me started on that...

Even worse is artexed walls don't get me started on that...
Ahh the authentic “Spanish villa” look; but for my money, I would much rather do a whole room of Artex walls than one Artex ceiling; I still groan at plastering ceilings. :LOL:

I'm not a fan of artex but back in the seventies it kept me in regular work for many years as it was in big demand back then, do hardly any artexing these days, still a demand for the good old gyproc coving though which I think looks ok.

Yottie, you are not alone. I've had two extensions done on my house and requested stippled artex ceilings both times. Coving too. To me a perfectly flat square ceiling at right angles to the walls is incredibly boring and just means constant redecoration every few years while the building settles and dries out.

I also wallpaper all my walls rather than just paint (except the bathrooms which are tiled floor to ceiling).

Maybe in a past life I was upset by a plasterer?? :rolleyes:

Thanks xdave, I'm certainly not alone around here. we find squared off rooms boring too, nice to meet a kindred spirit !

now`t wrong with a neat artex job - but the "combed" effect we had here looked like it was done as occupational therapy by someone from the local asylum :rolleyes: Luckily my son`s a spread and goes over them as we decorate - costs now`t and he says a ceilings as easy as a wall :LOL:

There is nothing wrong with an Artexed ceiling if it has been done properly. New builds are still getting the swirled/medusa pattern today. The only thing I don't like are walls that have been done so thickly and roughly with it, that you end up in casualty if you brush against them!

Just remember, when removing Artex applied before 1999, wear suitable safety gear as it apparently contained asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back