I need advice with my central heating. Rads not getting hot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler in the downstairs cloak room heats the rad in that room and the first two rads on the 15mm ring upstairs (approx 4&5m from the boiler). The next rad (approx 9m from boiler) Fed from the upstairs ring but down stairs doesn't get any heat. Neither the next (approx 8m from boiler and upstairs). The flow and return on the ring isn't exceptionally hot here either. The final rad gets heat but not a great deal.

What can be the problem?

I've bled the radiators, tried balancing checked that the TRV's aren't sticking checked the motor (trying on all speed settings) and bled the whole system by removing the bleed valve completely attaching a hose and forcing the water through the system and checked no air in the motor itself.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm completely stumped :(

Sponsored Links
Perhaps when you have drained the system, you didn't clear the sludge. have you tried running a chemical cleaner in the system for a while and then draining whilst it's hot?

If its all piped in 15mm is not surprising that it isn't getting hot.

Sponsored Links
If its all piped in 15mm is not surprising that it isn't getting hot.

Good point muggles.

Are you saying that your pipework for the central heating from the boiler is run entirely in 15mm pipework? Or do you mean it branches off the system in 15mm from 22mm?

You'll need to look at the outlet and inlet to the boiler and possibly under the floor, but youre CH system will suffer if the whole thing is run in 15mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back