i (need to re-use the tiles )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im having my shower pulled out and need to re-use the tiles as i cannot match the existing tiles to the walls, any ideas how to remove the grout of the backs of them?

Sponsored Links
I've had some success using a steam stripper to soften the grout and adhesive, then scraping it off.

and then use a belt sander in a vice,wear gloves and sand the crud off,CAREFULLY.

Sponsored Links
Soak for at least two weeks in a bucket of soapy water and then can easily be scraped off.

just re-tile the whole room..
mom and dad just did theirs for about £120..
well that's the cost of just the tiles and adhesive and grout.. the labour was extra obviously but if you DIY then that's free..

Grout is used between the tiles, and is very hard.
Tile adhesive is soft by comparison, once you have the tiles off a good soaking in warm water should help soften the adhesive further so it can be scraped off.

Wotan

if your tile adhesive is too hard to scrape off, leave the tiles to soak in warm soapy water for about 1/2 hr, then scrape off, chances are the grout will have softened on the edges so you can scrape that off as well, or use a roughish scouring pad on the edges whilst the tile is under water, the grout will come off then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back