I thought WhatsApp was supposed to be secure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was under the impression that WA was secure, and that no one could send you a message, unless you approved their phone number first? This morning I received a lengthy message from +91 98151 808078, attempting to sell me bitcoin.

Sponsored Links
WhatsApp is secure in that it's end-to-end encrypted, meaning it's supposedly infeasible for anyone to evesdrop on your chats.

There's nothing preventing random strangers from messaging you. (You may be thinking of BlackBerry Messenger.)

You should report the number, then block it.

Sponsored Links
I was under the impression that WA was secure, and that no one could send you a message, unless you approved their phone number first? This morning I received a lengthy message from +91 98151 808078, attempting to sell me bitcoin.

I accidentally WA somebody when I meant to send them a text. Phone was new, they were in my directory. I did not open WA to do it.

I accidentally WA somebody when I meant to send them a text. Phone was new, they were in my directory. I did not open WA to do it.
If you have an iPhone it can default to the most used app for messages, mine uses WA when I message people .

i have never done group chat on watts app as you get connected to people you know zero about
you details and there details get intermingled and available to those sharing in the group not ever a good idea for those wishing to have control off there life without manipulation from supposedly well trusted people in a group ???
but purely a guess as a near 70 year old who finds the internet both very amazing and frightening in its possible level off help and evil at the same time :eek:
:giggle:;)

you details and there details get intermingled
Doesn't matter; just by installing WhatsApp and giving it access to the contacts in the phone, it then uploads them all to WA.

This means they can get your details just by someone else (your mate) having your info in their phone, and using WhatsApp. Building a graph about people and how they are connected doesn't require everyone to be a willing participant to the process

Last edited:
Must be very handy in Putin's Russia.

Doesn't matter; just by installing WhatsApp and giving it access to the contacts in the phone, it then uploads them all to WA.

This means they can get your details just by someone else (your mate) having your info in their phone, and using WhatsApp. Building a graph about people and how they are connected doesn't require everyone to be a willing participant to the process

It is quite well known now that Whatsapp is not secure, gets regularly hacked and farcebook is seemingly not doing anything about it.

Sponsored Links
Back