Windows can't start...

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am asking this question on behalf of someone else.

When she tries to start her PC she gets a message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
WINDOWS\SYSTEM 32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original set up cd roms select 'r' at first screen to start repair

She has got a licence key on a sticker on the side of the PC. I have asked her to look for the Windows Installation Disk, but it seems to be lost. The sticker says:
windows xp home ed under that is the code of about 25 letters and numbers then under that a barcode and some more numbers and an authetication seal

I have got a Windows XP Installation disk I could lend her, but mine is the OEM version and I seem to remember that if her key is Home or Pro (not OEM) the key will not work with it.

If she can't find the installation disk, any other suggestions? The PC is not here with me.

Ta

Sponsored Links
I've heard you can get an XP disc that will do it all for you right down to putting the key in. ;)

I have got a Windows XP Installation disk I could lend her, but mine is the OEM version and I seem to remember that if her key is Home or Pro (not OEM) the key will not work with it.

You need to do a clean reinstall of XP to fix this as I have had it in the past. I lent a copy off my brother which worked ok. Try your disc first as it may work or you could try a system restore. :D

Sponsored Links
I have recovered from this in the distant past using these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

I think it will need the original installation disk though and an Administrator password (if one was used when installing XP) in order to get into the Recovery Console. You could try another XP disk but I'm not sure it would work because of the reasons mentioned.

Is there a chance that the computer came with a recovery disk rather than an installation disk? If that was the case, the disk might bear the name of the computer manufacturer rather than Microsoft. That could go unnoticed in the hunt for the disk.

no sign yet

can anyone copy or lend me an ordinary xp home installation disk? I don't need a licence key as she already gas one.

Its not a reinstall but a recovery as already mentioned. If all else fail you can borrow a copy from the internet and burn it to a cd.

no sign yet

can anyone copy or lend me an ordinary xp home installation disk? I don't need a licence key as she already gas one.

John, I have a copy of my old Home Edition disc that I can send you. PM me if you're interested. ;)

have sent you a "friend invitation" so
I can message you

ta

Sponsored Links
Back