windows repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all ive been trying to repair windows on a friends pc we booted off xp disk then selected r for repair. in the next screen it said select number for the op system which we wanted to repair so pressed 1 but then what key do i press nothing happens . and it says the enter key is to cancel repair?. i am trying to repair windows as it wont boot and says system 32 file is missing or currupted.files not backed up either. any help with which key to press to progress repair would be great

Sponsored Links
suffolklad said:
hi all ive been trying to repair windows on a friends pc we booted off xp disk then selected r for repair.
R is for "Repair using the Recovery Console" - not the kind of repair you thought you were embarking upon.

in the next screen it said select number for the op system which we wanted to repair so pressed 1 but then what key do i press nothing happens . and it says the enter key is to cancel repair?. i am trying to repair windows as it wont boot and says system 32 file is missing or currupted.
However, if it's what I think it is then you might well need to use the Recovery Console.

files not backed up either. any help with which key to press to progress repair would be great
If it's a Registry loss or corruption then your data files will all be intact. However, successful Registry recovery depends on a number of factors, one of which is whether or not there is any damage to the logical disk.

Please post the exact error as it appears on the scree - word for word, letter for letter.

does it not give you the option to press the C key to run the recovery console before you type in No1 for the installation to repair?.it sounds like your registry is corrupted btw either a virus or a bad driver for some hardware if your mate has installed something prior to the problem

I hope you have backed up all the data to CDs? data tends to get lost when you are trying to mend broken windows.

If you can't, buy a new hard drive as it is very depressing to lose a lifetimes stuff.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
data tends to get lost when you are trying to mend broken windows.
This is a strange statement. The only time Windows Setup will delete data is when carrying a full (non-repair) installation.

hi i used an old hard drive and reloaded xp on it for him temporary . i set the old drive as a slave his pics seem intact at moment . i cant remember exact message i will tell you tomorrow said system 32 file hive file or something, the pc has been attacted buy connection attemps lately and had loads spam.most probably virus . could i run virus check from new hard drive and check old hard drive? would that cure windows problem worth a try hey. so back to original ? what key do you press after the 1 to get it to repair windows . i never do this my self at home i always back my data up and just do clean install but id like to attemp to repair it if possible many thanks so far il type full error message tommorrow cheers thanks

I mean, when people have a Windows installation that's gone wrong, they often try various things, and it is not unusual to end up losing the data or being unable to read it. Hence my suggestion of doing an installation on a new disk to avoid making the old one any worse.

yandownie said:
does it not give you the option to press the C key to run the recovery console before you type in No1 for the installation to repair?
When has Windows XP ever done that.?! :rolleyes:

.it sounds like your registry is corrupted btw either a virus or a bad driver for some hardware if your mate has installed something prior to the problem
It sounds like you're guessing wildly.

suffolklad said:
could i run virus check from new hard drive and check old hard drive?
Yes.

would that cure windows problem
No.

worth a try hey.
Something that won't work isn't worth doing.

what key do you press after the 1 to get it to repair windows.
It's much more involved than just pressing a key. If you're in any way impatient, or can't follow instructions to the letter, then it's not worth attempting, but the Microsoft instructions for recovering from a 'corrupt or missing hive situation' are here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

When you get to the recovery console, run a full check disk first. CHKDSK /R.

It sounds like a damaged hive, but you'll need to post the file name it's complaining about.

hi all this is the full error message stop: (0000218(registry file failure) the registry cannot load the hive (file) \ systemroot\system32\config\SAM or its log or alternate it is corrupt absent or not writable begining dump of physical memory. many thanks so far

Yup - that's one of the Registry hive files.

Please start by following the advice that Igorian gave, regarding chkdsk. If the disk is sound then proceed to recover the Registry from a recent snapshot as explained in that Microsoft article.

thanks for the last post neilyh well ive got my friend to buy new hard drive and ive put clean copy of xp on it got all his pics back and address book just some other things to go back . but a strange thing has happened in control panel system it tells you how much ram and proccesor speed well it says its a 1.2 gig processor but it was a 3 gig one before so what has happened ? i havent touched the bios processor settings apart from boot sequence .could it be a processor fault which has caused the hive file to get corrupted. any ideas folks?

suffolklad said:
thanks for the last post neilyh well ive got my friend to buy new hard drive and ive put clean copy of xp on it got all his pics back and address book just some other things to go back . but a strange thing has happened in control panel system it tells you how much ram and proccesor speed well it says its a 1.2 gig processor but it was a 3 gig one before so what has happened ? i havent touched the bios processor settings apart from boot sequence .could it be a processor fault which has caused the hive file to get corrupted. any ideas folks?

Where were you looking exactly, Performance and Maintenance from the Control Panel or System Information from System Tools?

Sponsored Links
Back