I want the smallest radiator in the world please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a heating problem, I have a toilet under the stairs that is very small, just big enough literally.

It is about 1m by 1m square and about 2m high, it has no heating at present and feels a bit too cold in the winter, so my wife wants it heated.

I have been upgrading our rads and pipework recently so plumbing is not a problem. But when I work out the BTU's for this room even if I bought the smallest rad I could find it is still way high on output. I know I could put a stat on the rad but it does not seem the best solution as it would have to be turned right down I think with the rad BTU rating being so much more than what the room would require.

I was tempted to make something out of a chromed copper pipe, maybe 28mm if they do it, so that you end up with something that looks like a 1 bar towel rail, but would that not be way to small, maybe two 28mm pipes, I need help, any ideas?

All advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I made one for exactly the same scenario .... Just to take the chill off a WC
I used a handfull of tee pieces, one elbow and made it from 15mm pipe. No need for 28mm pipe though. What you want is surface area rather than volume of water.
I can't remember whether or not they boxed it in with air vents to create a skirting heater. But I do remember that it was custom made to fit below the cistern ['S' trap WC] as there was limited space to use either of the side walls. I had thought of adding convectors by soldering bits of pipe perpendicular to the elements but found it wasnt necessary.
The chrome pipe is a good idea if its on show.
There is no law that states a radiator must be purchased so creating your own is a feasible plan.
Don't forget to fit a bleed screw or air vent ;)

If you have a stat on the radiator, you set the TEMPERATURE. You do not have to turn it right down, set it for "2", and it will sort it out by itself.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back