ICOS HE24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Icos he24 is working perfectly - never misses a cycle.
BUT the CH system is losing pressure. A little over a year ago (5cm from upstairs rads in 3 months) Now quite quickly (30cm in 1 month) Boiler is in cellar so weight of water alone always results in normal start ups. No signs of leak anywhere. Then I noticed the fairly rapid dripping sound from the condensate drain. A bucket under it shows that it ain't ordinary water. It's clean, but very slightly murky - probably sentinal anti corrosive additive.
Given that I seem to be losing water through the condensate drain. What's the most likely fault ?
Cheers guys
Robbo2

Sponsored Links
Well if it is a normal Ideal and about 3-4 years old, then the HE has probably been eaten through by the condensate :eek:

Have you had it PROPERLY serviced annually?

The boiler is not yet 2 years old. And as my house is on the market.....I wanted to avoid a maintenance contract. I hoped it might last a couple of years from new. Maybe too big an ask?.......It has been reliable - and remains so.
After the summer I noticed rad.s were about 100mm low upstairs, so guess I'm losing water all the time - though much much less when CH is not running.
I hope the HE isn't worn out already. I thought they used stainless now?
Cheers again.
Robbo2

Sponsored Links
Sorry corgiman, I meant to say there appears to be no dripping after the boiler has been off for a while.
Maybe the HE is OK after all ?-phew.
Do you think it's some valve problem, or something to do with the expansion tank???? I'm no expert, but at least when I get Ideal to come and sort it out, it would be useful to have an idea as to the nature of the problem - if only to save them the trouble (and me the expense) or gradually replacing every component - as has happened to me before ....
Cheers again
Robbo2

then I doubt its the HEX

But more fool you in not having a boiler serviced annually that is a terrible false econmy

there must be a leak(s) on the system somewhere

as dave said GET IT SERVICED

:)

Will get it serviced asap.

I've had annualservices on previous boiler, and it was forever having ignition probs. Service call outs every few months for years. Over that time nearly all components replaced. Then entire boiler replace FOC due to endless hassle I was having.

Thanks for your advice.
Robbo2

ideal do have a problem with boilers like yours as they fitted wrong washers in the boilers on a six week run 2 years ago and some of them have been leaking there response has been pretty poor to the problem so if it is leaking from the boiler it is probably the wrong o ring seals .good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back