ICOS M3080 Health Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Although I've taken a look through past topics and found problems akin to that being experienced here, just wondered if anyone could help re specifics.

The Boiler
ICOS me3080 Ideal condenser Boiler

The Problem
Seems to occur whilst CH is being supplied, water on it's own is fine. Having been quietly supplying CH for 5-6 hrs we then get the repeated (but not everytime) occurence whilst the boiler transitions from working
(solid green) to flashing (reached set temp) of four to five v loud bangs followed a few seconds later by a screeching sound. Each time this happens we have to check as sometimes the boiler returns the LF code and has to be reset.

It is understood that this may be caused due to poor circulation and overheating.

Actions thus far.
Contacted BGas on a fixed price repair. Over three visits they have thus far changed both actuator valves (water & heating) the Thermistors and this morning cleaned the condense trap etc and finally changed the pump. They also used a magnet to check for sludge in the vicinity of the boiler and turned one radiator with a Drayton valve to max to ensure the CH circuit remains open should all other rads trip off.

The condenser pipe has also been checked for blockages and icing and appears to be fine.

But........ as of 2pm today we still have the same problem!!.

All of the rads bar one were replaced in the summer and all apart from one are fitted with Honeywell stats. The heating is switched on via a room stat and the external boiler controller switched to constant. All rads have heat reaching them.

Any suggestions anyone could provide would be appreciated, following sterling work BGas have now left with mutch head scratching and will probably never return.

Help!.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt response Dave.

The fan seems to be functioning OK as I can hear it running and responding (slowing down\speeding up).

I'll suggest the possible ignition problem to the engineer although I don't think BGas are going to want to throw too many more parts at this problem.

On the last visit visit they seemed to think it was system rather than boiler related. Somebody suggested a powerflush, but all radiators are working and warming evenly and the problem only occurs after 5 or six hours of running the CH. All have been bled so no air in system

Thanks again for the post mate, much appreciated.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response Pablo,

The boiler last received a full service in January 2009. Must admit that the BG engineers have been very good (apart from tracing the fault), guess a nice hot cuppa always helps!

Regs,
Mark

partly blocked heat exchanger, does the noise sound like its in the water ways? temp diffs? in the book ideal will say 20 degrees but in reality no more than 14/15 would cause the burner to cook the heat ex.:eek:

Hi Only,

Thanks for the response.

The banging appears to come from somewhere near the upper reaches of the heat exchanger and the bottom of the fan. I'm assuming this noise is caused by overheating, causing the boiler cover to expand and bang.

I did ask the engineer if it could be the HE scaling up but he simply replied that if it was a problem with the heat exchanger we may as well get a new boiler!.

Could you explain a little re the question of 'Temp Diffs' please? not sure I understand (sorry).

Thanks again,
Mark

Say you set boiler thermostat to max ie 82 degrees
water will flow from boiler at 82 and go round your whole system and return say at 62 degrees keeping the boiler running all the while hence
condense.

Just thought I'd let you know I have a very similar problem with my Baxi 80 HE Plus. Several BG visits have seen a new pump, new PCB and new thermistor (whatever that is). Problem still exists so BG returning Thursday to replace Heat Exchange.

I'll let you know if this does the trick. Thankfully I'm on an all inclusive service contract so hasn't cost me anything.

Hi Guy's,

Thanks for your responses thus far. Unfortunately we still have the same intermittent problem.

Having had seven rads replaced in the summer I'm wondering if the problem is due to load balancing (or rather lack of it). The return valves on each rad (9 in total) are fully open. Could it be that the water is returning back to the boiler at too higher a temperature thus causing the HE to overheat.

To condense properly whilst heating should the boiler be running all the time rather than running - standby - running etc (ours does the later)?.

Also, sorry to be dim, but I note from previous posts that the flow and return differences for this boiler should 20 degrees.....but how do I check the flow and return temps??.

Any advice you could give re these questions would be greatly received, I'm still a little to young for grey hair!!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back