ICOS M3080 Health Problems - (the continuing saga!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's,

Thanks for your responses to my previous posting. Unfortunately we still have the same intermittent problem. Boiler banging and screaching, usually when changing from running to standby.

Having had seven rads replaced in the summer I'm wondering if the problem is due to load balancing (or rather lack of it). The return valves on each rad (9 in total) are fully open.

Could it be that the water is returning back to the boiler at too higher a temperature thus causing the HE to overheat?.

To condense properly whilst heating should the boiler be running all the time rather than running - standby - running etc (ours does the later)?.

Also, sorry to be dim, but I note from previous posts that the flow and return differences for this boiler should 20 degrees.....but how do I check the flow and return temps??.

Any advice you could give re these questions would be greatly received, I'm still a little to young for grey hair!!.

Sponsored Links
The hooting noise u hear from this boiler (if that is the noise ur getting) will be the condensate trap. The sump has to be cleared of clinker debris - always there. The drainage hole has to be clear; and the condensate trap has to be cleaned out. I just change the trap completely and it's always fixed the problem. Speak to ideal they'll tell u. Are you Gas safe?

Hi Blooflame, thanks for your reply.

The condense trap has been cleaned out recently by a BGas engineer in an effort to resolve this issue (although it seemed pretty clean anyway), the drsin is also clear.

two points - is there a bypass fitted on system and is it open slightly and 2- hooting noise possible cause i have had from a faulty gas valve thought the same condensate trap but ended up being gas valve

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Yes we do have a bypass fitted and I believe it is currently open. The screeching could relate to the gas valve but the strange thing is it always makes this noise whilst changing from running to standby rather than when it's firing up!.

Would like to get some feedback on my initial questions as we only moved into this house last summer and I'm still trying to understand the heating system. Be nice to get the mystery solved.

Thanks again.......

two points - is there a bypass fitted on system and is it open slightly and 2- hooting noise possible cause i have had from a faulty gas valve thought the same condensate trap but ended up being gas valve

Yup I've had gas valves do it too

Mmmm OK Guy's, looks like getting the gas valve checked is the next step. Fingers crossed!.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back