ID some render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old house with some internal damp problems and I see the render as a prime suspect. I would like to identify what sort of render it is... as I suspect that the solid brick wall has been rendered with a non-breathable Tyrolean render and then covered in plastic paint.
I've attached some photos of where the paint and render is coming away.
Is anyone able to confirm:
1. That it's plastic paint
2. Whether it's breathable render or not?

Sponsored Links
It looks like a cement render that hadn't been done properly (hence the cracks) but cement render won't cause problems if there's adeqate ventilation inside, so what sort of problems do you have inside.

OP,
As you noted, there is a plastic paint over a Tyrolean texture.
The Tyrolean was applied to a background that looks extremely friable - what that orange coloured mix consists of I dont know. Perhaps a local render using washed building sand?
There are cracks galore - some of them running from the corners of openings, & some cracking in horizontal lines.
If the cottage is a brick build then the horizontal cracks are following the beds.

Details & pics of the interior damage/cracks/damp might help.
Is the whole cottage brick built, no stone been used?
Are the walls solid or cavity?

A 5/10 possibility is that all must come off to expose the brick surfaces & repair the cracks but it might be possible to simply remove the Tyrolean and with it the paint. It depends on whats happening inside the property?

FWIW: The fascia on the porch(?) is water damaged.
The PVC window has been installed on the face of the building instead of being installed approx 75mm back frm the face of the elevation.

Damp walls in all corners with external walls from floor to about 1m high.
Damp patches on the walls that correspond to some of the cracks.
The room is well ventilated and has had a dehumidifier running in it for about 12 months with little effect.
The internal walls have been lined with something... possibly some insulation... on top of the plaster... but that's all coming off this summer.

Sponsored Links
The porch is also coming down in the summer.

Internally there is no visible sign... other than wet patches when it rains... the don't leave marks and I suspect problems have been covered.

Thanks for both responses.

Well the cracked render would allow the water to get in on a localised basis, but if the damp is from the floor upwards, that suggest rising damp, but I may well get corrected. Render that stops the wall breathing would give damp issues higher up, and the insulation suggest a cold wall.

I'd up Vinns probability to 7-10 to remove the render and start again. Sort out the rising damp, and consider adding external wall insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back