ID Thieves target card machines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Criminals have been tampering with card payment terminals to steal card and account data.

The scam, uncovered by the BBC's Money Box, involves fake engineers turning up at shops and taking terminals away to be "repaired".

Instead, they set them up to copy and store details of every card that is inserted in the machine.

The information cannot be used to duplicate a chip and PIN-protected UK card but can be encoded on the magnetic stripe of a blank card, which is then used to withdraw cash in countries where chip and PIN security has not been introduced.

Check your credit report for signs of ID theft

Criminals target cards
"Cards are a favourite target because credit cards can give access to large amounts of cash, while a debit card is directly linked to your bank account, which criminals can clear out," says Peter Turner, managing director of the identity fraud protection service CreditExpert.

:mad:

Sponsored Links
I am not saying this has never happened, but as an ex engineer who changed these yellow machines on a regular basis, we could never take a machine away without leaving a working substitute.
So any terminal that has gone missing, has been just theft.

Any store that lets a stranger take away a piece of EPOS equipment without appointment or reason, and not leave a working replacement, must be very badly run. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I can picture it now, a disinterested looking employee and badly trained night supervisor are propping up the checkout:

Man with fake ID enters.

"I've come to take away your chip n pin machine for repair. I'll have it back tomorrow evening"
"oh ok. Do you want a cuppa?"

The thing is, this relys on the stores being manned by thick employees, which happens all too often. :(

Glad my company is immune, because our chip n pin readers are run from the tills. The software is actually in the till base, not the pin pad. :)

The software is actually in the till base, not the pin pad
Bit of an invitation to the criminal fraternity to go and nick a till to see how it works and to clone that.Mind its probaly been done already where theres money theres a scam.

Back