IDEAL 30KW COMBI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have Just had a Combi boiler installed with a free standing thermostat.

Can someone advise the best way to run the system the heating is either on full or off.
We were told be the gas fitter that we don’t need to touch the rad temp switch on the boiler.

I have set the hot water to a nice temp but just cant to get the heating to work at a nice temp

Thank in advance for any replies

Sponsored Links
Which model of Ideal is it? Why not just get your installer back? Usually there should be a temp difference of 20 degrees between the flow and return

Maybe I’m not explaining properly. sorry

Do I leave the rad temp on full on the boiler or can I reduce it

If your 'free standing thermostat' is wired for OpenTherm, it will control the boiler temperature automatically. Maybe that's why the installer said you don't need to touch it. Ask him!

If your 'free standing thermostat' it is a simple turn the heating on / off type then the boiler temperature can be adjusted by you. In which case as condensing boilers work more efficiently at lower return water temperatures, the lower the temperature, generally the more efficient it will be. However the radiators will run at a cooler surface temperature, so if it's too low you will find that it will take too long to heat your home. I set mine as low as I can but high enough to warm the house in a reasonable time. So it tends to be higher now than in the autumn and spring.

Don't expect massive savings though, although the boiler will be more efficient at a lower temperature, it will be running for a bit longer to heat your home.

Sponsored Links
I find it’s best to lower the boiler thermostat, and to have room thermostat set to a comfort level - usually anywhere between 19 and 24 degrees.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back