Ideal Boiler not Working..Please Help :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My Ideal isar HE24 has stopped working :(

My handyman managed to stick a nail through a central heating pipe (under the floor boards) last night and as a result the boiler leaked out all the water and eventually started making strange noise overnight. I didn't manage to turn off the boiler last night and today he managed to locate the leak and i had it fixed by a plumber. Unfortunately when trying to switch the boiler back on, i get the display flashing between "0" and 3 horizontal lines (cant work out if that is an "E" or a "3" because there is no vertical line on either side of the 3 lines).

The plumber tried to work out the fault but was unsuccessful. When switching on, you hear a switch click but then nothing else comes on apart from the display flashing between "0" and 3 lines. He tried the reset button, switched the boiler on/ off from mains switch, trying to start when running hot water etc and nothing.

Can someone please please help as its freezing cold and i cant do without heat and hot water or too long :(

thanks so much in advance to the great helpers in this forum!

Aaliya

Sponsored Links
thx for the reply gaz, yes was refiled, the gas supply is fine too.

Sponsored Links
i just went and tried. this is what happened...

it was off from the main supply
when i switched it on the heater light actually came on (which it didnt about an hour ago and i heard water going into the boiler (without me doing anything)
then it stopped and display went to "d"
i tried switching thermostat on/ off a few times...nothing happened
reset button does not do anything at all, no response, stays on "d"

so it is behaving differently to how i originally described it in first post (which was the actual case an hour ago)

thanks again

Which model of Ideal boiler?

Whats the pressure on the boiler now?

Why do you employ a plumber who cannot deal with simple plumbing problems?

Are you in Coventry?

Tony

have another read tony

d means its trying to fire for hw (preheat). it might be airlocked, turn the stats down on the boiler n keep the ch on (on the timer/stat).

Hi

The plumber tried to work out the fault but was unsuccessful. When switching on, you hear a switch click but then nothing else comes on apart from the display flashing between "0" and 3 lines. He tried the reset button, switched the boiler on/ off from mains switch, trying to start when running hot water etc and nothing.

Aaliya

I have read it again and I come up against the same problem. She employs a plumber who cannot deal with a simple problem even though he is there in front of the boiler!

Why employ someone who cannot sort simple problems?

Hi

My Ideal isar HE24 has stopped working :(

i was referring to what boiler shes got, the other bit i agree with. to add to the criticism to the people shes employed, i would also say the handyman doesn't sound very handy :LOL:

hi gaz

can u pls elaborate? it seems it was "trying to start" but didn't quite get there. u mean turn down target temp on thermostat?

thx again

have another read tony

turn the stats down on the boiler n keep the ch on (on the timer/stat).

hi Again to anyone else who may be able to help please....?

->> i had the boiler off from the mains overnight
->> i switched it on this morning, it tried to start again with the burner coming on, i heard some water slushing around inside, a couple of clicks but after about 1 minute it went off. i had the thermostat off in all this time
->> i then switched on the thermostat, it made the noise to suggest it was gonna come on but then displayed the "L9" error.
->> i hit the reset button and then it went into (and stayed in) flashing between "0" and three horizontal lines mode.

thanks in advance as always everyone!

Aaliya

hi

what is the best way to pinpoint which exact part is the actual problem without changing each one? btw, by "heat" i assume u mean heat exchanger?

thx again

ethier pump gone or the heat has or you got problem with the over heat stat

Tony, your not really helping here are you?

Can't you go and find a restaurant that needs reviewing? ;)

now when i switch on and off, it just flashes "0" and 3 horizontal lines, nothing else is happening now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back