Ideal Boiler Thermostat replacement. Halo, Hive, or other options ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we've got a 'Ideal Vogue C32 Gen2 boiler' and the thermostat unit (Touch) keeps playing up, so we need to replace that.

I've looked at this 'Halo' thermostat that's posted all over Ideal's own webpage, but when chatting the their customer service they state they don't sell or install it, and they also say that it's not compatible with our boiler, and the only thing they offered to replace it with was with a thermostat that came before Touch, and doesn't have wifi or an app or anything, so that seemed silly.

I've had a look online and read something about it needing a "Smart Interface Bracket" fitted so that we can have Halo installed.

Are there any other alternative thermostats that are good and easy to install (plug and play) ?

I've seen something called 'Hive' but not sure if that's compatible with our boiler.

Would this interface bracket and halo be the best option to replace our 'touch' with or are there other options I should look at ?

Sponsored Links
I think most of the smart thermostats are compatible with all standard boilers.

I went with Tado, as they are one of the few brands that have smart TRV's. They're not essential but you might want to upgrade later?
I work from home and have set the TRVs to all close apart from my office.
At 5pm they open to heat the whole house when others are home.

I wired the tado myself to a 20yr old boilermate2000/glowworm micron. Fairly simple and they provide detailed instructions.

The price varies a bit so you can save £100 when it's on offer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221111_162152_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221111_162152_Chrome.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 98
Pretty sure that will support opentherm, so I’d be looking at this option.

I went with Drayton Wiser, which also has Opentherm support and smart TRVs.
Very happy with it so far - good app and everything works even if the Internet is down.

The novelty of being able to ask Alexa what the room temperature is hasn't quite worn off yet.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Thought it was compatible with all versions of the Vogue. On some earlier versions of the Logic it needed an external interface, maybe that includes the Vogue then?

I had a Vogue installed in August using an approved installer. They fitted the Halo which was plug and play.

The Hive will only turn and boiler on and off as it can’t modulate.

Last edited:
Apparently, it's complicated: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/comment/45915/#Comment_45915

I think I saw a Tado rep on a HeatGeek video recently saying that they were going to bring back support in the UK. Not sure where they are with it currently. I do like the concept of a controller that speaks proprietary languages. I have a WB Greenstar 30i and I had to buy an EMS-OpenTherm converter from the Netherlands to get OpenTherm support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back