Ideal C28 boiler stopping & starting & stopping &amp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My combi CH system had its first (1yr) service in February. Since then I've noticed a problem with the Ideal C28 boiler that's getting progressively worse.

When CH is on, the boiler can be heard starting periodically (as you'd expect), but then it shuts off either just before the gas ignites, or shortly thereafter. A few seconds later this behaviour repeats. About one in three of these attempts results in a steady flame and about 10-15 seconds of 'normal' running. Sometimes the boiler shuts off at the instant of ignition, at which point the boiler seems to hesitate for a few seconds, then returns to its cycle of on/off/on/off again.
When CH is off, hot water is supplied on demand as normal. However, once the HW tap is turned off, the boiler again starts and stops just before ignition, usually several times over ten minutes or so following HW tap being turned off.

I already have an engineer booked to come out and see it later this week, but I wonder if anyone knows what might be amiss here? Prior to the service (!) the boiler has been fine. No leaks that I'm aware of. CH loop pressure is 1.5 bar when running.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back