Ideal Classic FF250 Wiring Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just updated my central heating controls from an ancient Danfoss 103 Mechanical Timer to the following Honeywell parts:

• 4073a mid-position motorised valve
    cm921 wireless thermostat
    st9100a programmer (for hot water)
    l641a cylinder thermostat
    Sundial Plan Wiring Centre (42005748-001
Whilst I have managed to wire up everything ok I am having trouble with the wires from the boiler (Ideal Classic FF250).

There is a cable with four wires which are coloured blue, black, red and green/yellow. If there had of been three wires I would be confident that would be wired up as the 'simple boiler' or five wires (pump overrun) I don't have that and I am a little confused.

Does anyone know how I can check the 'uses' of the wires or what the easiest way is to wire it up with just three wires.

Thanks, look forward to hearing your replies.

vaughty

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'd assume this is how they would be wired:

Green/Yellow - Earth
Black - Neutral
Blue - Switched Live
Red - Live

What is the 'easiest' way to tell which is which? I have a multimeter which I'm pretty competent with but don't really want to end up in A&E over xmas

Thanks,

vaughty

Drop the front panel and have a look at connector in boiler pretty certain every classic was just LNE with no pump over run

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be anyway to take the front cover off. It is boxed by the lovely people at Magnet who installed the new kitchen (all done by the previous owners)

I can pull the bottom panel down (which exposes the on/off switch and temperature control) but cannot see the wires, only the white flex.

Any other ideas?

as above i think the classic was a 3 wire boiler.

there is no way to know what the wires are without dropping the front cover.

who ever installed should of flagged the cables but rarely do.

a multi tester should give you a good idea though but a visual is more accurate.

I think I'll leave it and get a professional in to do it rather than face the rath of the missus and have a cold house tonight. Need to get someone to install the 3 port valve too.

Thanks for the help guys and have a good new year.

Classic definately only has 3 wires to it.

If the boiler front is not removeable because of the kitchen units I always class it as At Risk.

Get Magnet back to make it accesible, otherwise it can never be serviced ;)

Right, well I've managed to sort it, the wires were:

Green/Yellow - Earth
Blue - Neutral
Black - Live
Red - Switched Live

thankfully it all works fine and I'm not gonna get an earful from the missus. Just need to wait for after the New Year to get someone in to replace the old manual three port valve with a motorised one.

gas4you - called magnet and told them that the boiler is classed as at risk because the cover can't be removed and they're sending someone round to rectify it, so thanks for that.

Thanks again everyone for your input.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back