Ideal classic FF250

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a fully working Ideal classic FF250, I need a little more heat out of the boiler as I have just constructed an extension to my house. I don`t want to change this reliable boiler.

Looking at the spec`s of the boiler it appears all parts are exactly the same for the classic FF260 other than the burner injector which is 3.59 instead of 3.3 for the FF250.

Can I have a the larger burner injector fitted to increase the output of my boiler.

This is NOT DIY, I am a builder and can do all plumbing and electrics to a high standard but would NEVER touch gas.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Quite possibly it could be done.

But we would always say that if you are not intending to do it yourself, then why are you not asking your Gas Safe engineer?

Tony

Hi,

As I said I do not touch Gas, anything else yes.

I was asking about the feasibility of fitting a larger main burner injector namely size 3.59 into my FF250.

Rob.

Sponsored Links
So, what you have is an ideal FF230-260 boiler with NO labeling, the main burner injector is missing, other than that the boiler looks in perfect condition.

How can you tell what the original rating was as all components other than the burner injector according to the service manual are the same.

So, what you have is an ideal FF230-260 boiler with NO labeling, the main burner injector is missing, other than that the boiler looks in perfect condition.

How can you tell what the original rating was as all components other than the burner injector according to the service manual are the same.

Happens all the time. But the injector is usually in place.

Ideal produce a boiler called the classic FF, the output range from this boiler is 30,000 Bthu`s to 100,000 Bthu`s.

According to Ideal`s data sheet all parts of this boiler are identical other than the (burner injector).

The only other difference is that the FF280 must have 28mm pipe connected to the 22mm flow and return pipes coming from the boiler.

It appears to me depending on the demand Ideal had for this boiler and the output required, Ideal would stick a label on a STOCK boiler, albeit for a 30,000Bthu`s or 40,000Bthu`s etc.

Ideal would not produce separate boilers or parts, it is not cost effective and they would not Know what output boiler was required at what time. It would only be the low cost injector of varying sizes that would have to be kept in stock and may be wasted at some point.

I am not a gas fitter but according to Ideals data and the fact that all parts appear to be identical, the burner pressure should be able to be set across the full range of the boiler and that appears to be the only adjustment necessary. I don`t want to part with a boiler that is bullet proof and that I have a stack of spares for just for a little more efficiency, (about 15%) if you are Lucky. When big government want you to buy something for their green dream they will make your equipment look worse and theirs look better.

It is odd that so many people believe what government tell them, example,

There has been NO global temperature rise for 16 years yet CO2 keeps tracking up, plants love it though. You will here government saying this is the hottest decade this century and YOU are the cause, of cause it is, it`s not risen for 16 years Duu, but hottest sounds more catastrophic, The efficiency ratings quoted for modern boilers are on the same par as the manufactures MPG ratings, who ever achieves those.

Anyway all I wanted to know is can I upgrade my boiler.

As I said before it probably can be done.

Getting a gas engineer to agree will depend on his own attitude.

Some will not and perhaps others might.

Tony

OP, it's the establishment you have to convince, not the trade. Doing it is one thing, RGI taking legal responsibility for it is quite another, hence the rule book reply.

Bob, have you actually asked Ideal if they will agree to that ( in writing )?

If they will ( unlikely ) then most RGIs will agree to do it for you.

Tony

I have no idea of the cost of these boilers new but I doubt they would all have been priced the same, if you go to the site below, click on ideal then choose a boiler say FF230, scroll down and copy every single number for each item. Then go to the search box at the top and search with those numbers, you will note the parts shown are used in boilers of various makes, probably made by ideal and branded.

The one thing that should be noted is that EVERY SINGLE ITEM is exactly the same other than the injector. They are all the same boiler with a different label, if the Classic FF230 is exactly the same as the classic FF280 other than the injector it`s the same boiler. Obviously Ideal don`t want to sell a lessor output boiler for the same price as a more powerful one, they also obviously don`t want consumers upgrading their boiler for £50, they want to sell a new one.

This boiler is designed to run at various outputs and bears NO danger to anyone wanting to use that boiler at a lessor or larger output, the range is obviously governed by the injector size alone.

http://www.hssspares.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back