Ideal COmbi 35 - recurring L2 error code

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am currently experiencing an L2 error code from my Ideal boiler. Resetting the boiler doesn't seem to fix the issue.

On reset, the boiler attempts to re-ignite for a moment and eventually returns to L2.

I have searched the forum and cannot see a similar post (apologies if I have missed one). I just wanted to ask, is there anything else I can attempt before calling out an engineer.

I have checked the pressure under the boiler and it seems ok according to the manual - on 1 millibar(?).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The boiler is approx 1.5 years old and out of warranty(i didn't get the annual service to my regret)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ideal have been offering 5-7 years warranty, I would double check on that.
The error is to do with flame failure of flame detection failure. So could be the ignition that is faulty, the detector is faulty or your condensing pipe is blocked or has defective trap.

Hi.

I am currently experiencing an L2 error code from my Ideal boiler. Resetting the boiler doesn't seem to fix the issue.

On reset, the boiler attempts to re-ignite for a moment and eventually returns to L2.

I have searched the forum and cannot see a similar post (apologies if I have missed one). I just wanted to ask, is there anything else I can attempt before calling out an engineer.

I have checked the pressure under the boiler and it seems ok according to the manual - on 1 millibar(?).

The boiler is approx 1.5 years old and out of warranty(i didn't get the annual service to my regret)

Many thanks.

1 millibar sounds worrying.

Hi.

Many thanks.

1 millibar sounds worrying.

LOL, sorry - that should be 1 bar i guess.

Sponsored Links
Ideal have been offering 5-7 years warranty, I would double check on that.
The error is to do with flame failure of flame detection failure. So could be the ignition that is faulty, the detector is faulty or your condensing pipe is blocked or has defective trap.

Thanks for your response. I will give them a call tomorrow to find out if I'm covered.

This was a cheaper version of the logic branded for merchants and only came with a 1-3 year warranty.
In reality you need someone who knows what their doing to check inlet dynamic gas pressure, flue seals, condensate and micro amp readings from the detection lead.
Has this oiler ever been serviced?
If no probably syphon choked or electrodes needing cleaned/changed.
Not a job for an amateur.

Hi All,

Sorry to hijack an old thread but I have the same boiler and a very similar problem to OP, except that I can reset the boiler to work, but I get the error again eventually. Also my code fluctuates between L2/F2, which both seem to mean the same thing (flame error).

This has been ongoing for probably couple months since it's summer and I only need it for hot tap water, which I can get by resetting it... but figured it's wise to fix before winter.

Basically I'm trying to decide on the best/cost efficient way of getting it fixed. I've had a free callout from my home emergency cover but the guy couldn't find anything and suggested I get a service.

I've looked into services and so far found:
-British Gas for £79,
-Premier Energy Solutions for £55,
-MrBoilerReparis for £79 inc 1 yr insurance.

My concern is that whatever's wrong won't be fixed by the service and will end up costing much more (e.g. separate callout)

I tried calling Ideal directly ad talked through my issue and they offer a Fixed Price Repair for £175 all in, which seemed expensive at the time, and they even recommended getting a plumber to check for blockages first.

So I would hopefully like some advice from people with experience or expertise on the best course of action. What I want to avoid is paying for a service and then a separate repair which comes to more than £175.

If I need to book a repair rather than service, can you get them to service at the same time for a cheaper rate than normal?

Thanks in advance.

(Ideal Logic Combi 35, almost 3 years old, out of warranty)

When the clutch goes on your car do you take it in for a service?

No, you get the clutch fixed - which will cost more than a service.

£175 to fix your shitbox is peanuts.

You should get your boiler serviced every year anyway.

Which will cost money.

Owning property mean paying for regular maintenance just like owning a car.

Whether someone will discount a service along with a repair is up to the company. But certainly not with a fixed price repair.

MrBoilerRepairs website looks like my 6 year old threw it together. there is a * next to the 12 month policy offering indicating special clauses, but no mention of them anywhere, and the T's&C's page looks like an explosion in a scrabble factory.

I understand and take on the point you are making but I'm not familiar with how the boiler / engineer trade works and I've been driving for much longer than I have been a homeowner.

If I had an unknown fault with my car, which was also due for a service, I would just book a service with my usual garage and ask them to check for the fault while they're at it, as at least there is no call out fee.

Also the engineer from my home emergency cover was the one who suggested a service to me (maybe to fob me off). And it was Ideal that suggested I may be able to get the job done cheaper by finding a plumber/engineer.

I was just seeking some insight, as for all I know someone experienced may have said it was a common issue that should cost £50 for example. Or alternatively that it was a massive job and £175 was a bargain.

OP (Pride888)- Someone experienced can only answer questions about what's wrong with your boiler by attending it. You want someone to tell you how much someone else is going to charge you for a fault that no-one can possibly diagnose from your description.

Apart from user operating instructions, distance technical advice can only be given to professionals by other professionals who happen to know even more. If what you seek were possible, we'd all ditch our vans and make a living repairing by premium rate phone number.

I suspect your preoccupation with price will lead you in circles.

Hi.

Many thanks.

Although this is likely much too late to help the original poster I thought it may be helpful to others to say that this code can come up on Ideal boilers which have been repeatedly reset because they are struggling against wrongly set Danfoss timer controls. We have had a situation like this where this complex system can be set with not only three different on and off settings each time set to a comfortable living temp, but also a secondary "set back" temperature. If the secondary set back temperature is set too high or higher than the main temperature settings the boiler will kick in and then go almost straight off if it is already at the temperature which has been set.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back