Ideal E Type RS50 boiler won't light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am posting this seeking for advice on behalf of my Mum who is in the more vulnerable bracket during lockdown. She has been without heating and hot water now for 2 weeks when her boiler blew out in the high winds. It is prone to doing this and she tried several times to relight it with no joy. She called her usual heating engineer and he said it was probably the thermocouple, which has been changed numerous times over the years. She managed to source the correct thermocouple after trying 2 suppliers and the engineer came back and fitted it. It took several attempts to get the pilot light to ignite but he finally managed to get it going. The boiler was ok for a couple of hours but then went out again. He suggested it would be the gas valve so after seeking advice on the correct part number and shopping around we found one for £180. This was fitted yesterday and the pilot light has lit but the boiler will not fire up. A new pump was fitted approximately 6 months ago and the engineer said it must be electrical but he is not knowledgeable on the electrics side, so to get an electrician to have a look. My Mum is devastated and has been left not knowing what to do next. My brother is an electrical engineer so he is going to check the power supply tomorrow after work. If the power is all fine, any ideas what could be wrong? Any help or recommendations of gas engineers in the South Gloucestershire area would be much appreciated as my Mum does not know what to do now. It is so difficult at the moment with suppliers shut and limited contact with family to help.

Sponsored Links
You need a new engineer, very simple boilers , sorry dont know your area but some on here might be able to recommend someone,try making a new post saying decent engineers in south Gloucestershire and you might get a bite

Hopefully you bought a correct voltage gas valve for it as identical looking valves can be 24v or 240v
Also pilot injector should have been cleaned out at time of thermocouple fitting

The second company in Bristol to supply the correct thermocouple were very helpful and advised my Mum of the correct part number to order. We ordered this one online so hope it is correct as advised. See photo atrached. My Mum asked if the boiler could be service at the same time to ensure the jet was clean but the chap didn't seem to think it was necessary. I think as Ian advised, she needs a good recommendation of somebody in her area. Are you local gas112?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200526-085350.jpg
    Screenshot_20200526-085350.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 246
Sponsored Links
Do you still have old gas valve it will tell you on that whether it was a 240v, if not where the electric connections go on the plastic will be black in colour as opposed to blue on the 24v valve
No not local

Screenshot_20200526-091632.jpg Screenshot_20200526-091230.jpg I will get my Mum to check and relay this information to my brother when he checks the electrics tonight. I have just googled the old gas valve number from the manual I downloaded and it comes up with the new compatible part number ordered. I just don't think the guy was really interested as semi retired and asking us to source parts but it has and has left my Mum in this situation.

I appreciate all your replies, thank you.

The boiler is finally fixed. My brother found the fuse had blown, the engineer probably touched earth! My Mum was so relieved and enjoyed being able to have a shower. Thanks for your advice and all the best during this whole lockdown process.

The boiler is finally fixed. My brother found the fuse had blown, the engineer probably touched earth! My Mum was so relieved and enjoyed being able to have a shower. Thanks for your advice and all the best during this whole lockdown process.
As I said you needed a better engineer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back