worcester 9.24 combi boiler stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, my mother has a old worcester 9.24 combi boiler , its always making a banging noise , and a few weeks ago the bolier stopped working altogether and she had no hot water or heating . she called out the british gas guy who looked at it and said they didnt even make the parts for that paticular boiler anymore and really it should be condemmed! he insisted on looking in every room at all the radiators and said the radiators were the wrong size for the rooms and the pressure wasnt right in them ? he managed to fix the boiler and said the part is gauranteed for 1yr , my mum had to pay £189 for it to be fixed plus call out. today my mum said the boiler is broke again , no hot water or heating and the pilot light has gone out to.
can anyone give any advice on whats wrong with her boiler , and if its worth fixing again or if she needs to invest in a new one (not that she can really afford it)

thanks

Sponsored Links
The 9.24 was a reasonable boiler, but old technology. Banging usually indicates overheating, maybe pump related, but as not in front of it only a guess. Give a local independant a go at it and take it from there. In truth it's not worth spending a lot of money on a 20+ year old boiler.

The 9.24 is a good basic combi, it came in a number of different flue types and also electronic version.

As far as I know all spares are still available

parts are still available for this model, i repaired one earlier this year. managed to get thermistors and gas valve and pcb.

Sponsored Links
£189 half way towards the price of a new boiler.

Doesn't sound as if anything expensive is wrong but should be upgrading
the boiler it is very old.

Avoid British Gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back