Worcester 9.24 - radiator gets hot when shower used?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we have a Worcester 9.24 combi boiler.
(not sure if its i/e etc? its got a digital timer on it).

Anyway, the wife pointed out that the (nearest to the boiler) radiators start getting hot when the (mixer tap) shower is in use.

Is there a common cause and remedy for this?
And are the parts still available?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the answer.

Before I call someone in..

Are the parts still available for this model?I know its been obsoleted a while back.

I dont suppose anyone knows the part number for either the full valve or preferably the diaphragm for this boiler?

Plumb Centre had problems finding it.
If I cant find it then I dont want an RGI telling me the whole boiler needs replacing. :(

Sponsored Links
Neigh lad - it's a standard Giannoni diverter.
See if the pin on the end of the diverter valve is coming out (up) really fully. It must be coming most of the way out to turn the HW on, but if it isn't quite getting there the DV may be grubby inside. If it's only just making the switch the problem might just be the diaphragm :D . It should push the leaf on the microswitch right in as far as it'll go.

Can't believe PC can't find you the part.
Here's a pic, this is a part for a Sime boiler where the shaft length may be different, can't remember, but yours is the standard one which fits dozens of boilers.
http://www.partscenter.co.uk/shared/prdinfo/images/468766.gif

Thank you for your advise ChrisR.

Although if the worst comes to it I think this site may haver a complete diverter and the diaphragm?

Yep one of those will do the 9.24 and go for the whole valve not just diaphragm.
If the top two connections don`t marry up correctly there is 2 allen key screws that can be undone and head moved to correct position

Currently the near the boiler is an array of adjustable spanners & other tools all lined up neatly, with a pile of rags n stuff ready for D-Day in the morning when I fit the new Diaphragm.

Only first I need to nip out for some Silicone Grease.
I thought I had some, I have all sorts of other stuff down in the depth of the cellar but not that...

I bet the air's gonna be blue at some point... lol

Well thats done.

Turned flow/return off & drained via the DHW exchanger.

Took side off, undid all the fittings on the diverter, removed the top plate.
Why is it that the hardest to get to screw is always stuck really fast? (which is why I removed it all)

Removed the diaphragm, cleaned out the entire diverter inc the bottom rod (its got a bit rusty at the top).

Nipped out for the silicone grease.

£6 quid! and I only wanted a pea sized amount, still it should do for the next hundred or so replacements lol

Reassembled it all, refitted the diverter valve.

Removed diverter valve & disassembled it all again when I found this really big spring on the worktop. :D

Used plenty of grease on the rods.
Cleaned the ends of all inlet/outlets thoroughly (using a plastic scourer rather than wire wool).

Replaced the fibre washers while refitting.

Unfortunately turning the water back on, the return pipe valve as it joins the boiler started leaking.. damn.

Went & bled the radiators & opened the upstairs taps to let the water flow.

Made an almighty clunking noise when it was turned on so I turned it off, read the commissioning instructions & left it for a 10 minutes with heating off & not drawing hot water to allow the air settle.

Also noticed eventually that the hot water temp sensor (I think) had a lead fallen off, refitted it & everything works fine.
(bled the pump too)

Refitted it all, tested the taps upstairs. took a while to get hot but eventually became hotter than its been for a long while.

Put heating on, went & had nice shower.

The leaky return valve now appears to have stopped, will keep an eye on it.

Hopefully it will remain OK till after xmas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back