Ideal Elan 2 Boiler problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by JoolsBrown, 24 Oct 2010.

1. JoolsBrown

JoolsBrown

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have an Ideal Elan 2 boiler which didn't come on this morning. No heating - no hot water. Waiting for British Gas engineer to call under Homecare agreement but have previously been told by British Gas that spares for this boiler no longer available. Howevee, local independent gas man has also since said that's a load of old tosh.
    Have checked hot water tank just now and water is leaking from what I believe to be the pump - please excuse my lack of knowledge - I am no DIYer!!! Any help or advice for a damsel in distress would be welcome - am wary of British Gas in light of previous statement about boiler parts and don't want to be ripped off - but need hot water and warmth!!!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. mickyg

mickyg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    so why dont you quit the homecare and use the local independant who gave you honest advice.

4. JoolsBrown

JoolsBrown

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe I will - first time I've had to make call out under Homecare so we'll see what the service is like. Recently had independent out for gas fire service - and he was really booked up so prospects of getting him out quickly are probably slim and I've already paid for this years Homecare.

5. spraggo

spraggo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can still get spares for this boiler, the reason for British gas saying that you can`t is because this boiler is no longer on their boiler repair list.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. mickyg

mickyg

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    well if the pumps leaking it may have blown the fuse. prob just leave it off til they get there. Sure they will be able to fix it no problem. There's still some decent bg guys around who'll be honest and helpful. But always a risk you'll get one of the 6month trained numpties who've been brainwashed to sell you everything they can.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. JoolsBrown

JoolsBrown

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks - he has just arrived and initial diagnosis is exactly as you suggest mickyg - leaking pump has blown fuse - so need to replace pump. Fingers crossed and thanks to you guys for your responses.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. twgas

twgas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is it fixed?
    Did he sell you anything?
    Do you still not trust BG?
    oh, if there is a single part that the manufacturers will not supply the boiler goes on a reduced parts list, so the engineer should say that not all the parts are available, not "no parts "

10. 45yearsagasman

45yearsagasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

11. spraggo

spraggo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With the greatest of respect to you, what you are saying is, that british gas information was rubbish by them saying that you could no longer get spares for this boiler?

12. 45yearsagasman

45yearsagasman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No, but you said that this boiler is no longer on BG's repair list and that is not correct.

13. spraggo

spraggo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I cannot see this boiler on their repair list, I do not have their reduced repair list, I apoligize anyway.

14. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local