Ideal Elan 2 problem after draining system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I had a plumber friend out today to solder a faulty radiator leak. This is now fine. On doing so he had to drain the system. On starting the boiler back up we experienced a problem with the burner in the boiler. It kept going out and a loud banging and loud clicking noise can be heard when the burner comes on. The burner stays on for around 10-15 seconds before going out and reducing back to a pilot light. Ive had the thing on all night and no heating coming through at all. The loud banging noise is still audible. The pilot light is still on. A high pitched noise can also now be heard near the pump(?) upstairs next to the emersion tank. Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
you probably have an airlock

not havin a pop at your friend but did he properly drain and vent the system?

Depending on answer to corgi, check that f&e tank is full of water. If so you may have cold feed blockage, search on here, so system hasn't filled up correctly.

Banging as yo describe is usually no water or pump stuck.

Cheers guys. He did drain it off properly, i think. I watched all the water drain away myself.
he' coming back today with his tradesman to have a proper look at it. Will politely inform them of what you told me.

Sponsored Links
Depending on answer to corgi, check that f&e tank is full of water. If so you may have cold feed blockage, search on here, so system hasn't filled up correctly.

Banging as yo describe is usually no water or pump stuck.

the pump was very hot and make a persistent screeching noise that wasnt there before. Could that be the problem?

you probably have an airlock

not havin a pop at your friend but did he properly drain and vent the system?

i do remember him going round each radiator with the key opening each one, would this be him "venting" the system?

There's often a bleed point at the HW cylinder which can be easy to forget.
At V:
VentOnPrimaries.gif
nb - it's not the draining, it's the refilling which is in question!

There's often a bleed point at the HW cylinder which can be easy to forget.
At V:
VentOnPrimaries.gif
nb - it's not the draining, it's the refilling which is in question!

thanks for that info Chris. Appreciated. So if he forgot this bleed point what can we do next? Tried starting boiler again today. Same story. Starts fine but within seconds loud banging, rumbling, clattering from above the boiler and then the burner goes off, but pilot remains on. Can we rectify this if it is a refilling issue?
Many thanks again, Mike.

So if he forgot this bleed point what can we do next?
You undo the bleed valve , could be many types, to let any air out.

Have you checked header tank as Dave suggested above?

Is the pump turning - feel it, switch it between speeds and listen (if not turning the note doesn't change), then you can unscrew cente screw and poke a screwdriver in while it's running (dribbles)

So if he forgot this bleed point what can we do next?
You undo the bleed valve , could be many types, to let any air out.

Have you checked header tank as Dave suggested above?

Is the pump turning - feel it, switch it between speeds and listen (if not turning the note doesn't change), then you can unscrew cente screw and poke a screwdriver in while it's running (dribbles)

Thanks Chris, big help.
I unscrewed the large screw on the pump and a fair bit air came out for around 5 mins or so, resulting in the boiler finally working.
The noisy banging, clattering etc from the boiler has now stopped and the burner stays on, BUT only for 30 seconds or so. It now makes a noise like jet aircraft landing and then burner goes out. This happens every 2 mins or so. The "plane lands" and the burner goes out, pilot light stays on. Burner then comes back on as normal.
The "plane landing" noise wasn't present before. I still doesn't seem right. Should the burner not stay on for a longer period than just 30 seconds or so? Im worried about this jet aircraft noise.
Some radiators are still a little blocked, others are fine. Ive been bleeding them for a while now. Is the air in the system causing this problem?
thanks again
Mike

Yes, air in your system will promote rapid corrosion.

You still have not answered whether you have checked your f&e tank in the loft :confused:

This should be about 1/2 full with water. If it is then find a drain point on the system and drain some water out to see if the f&e level drops or you can hear the tank filling.

This will prove one way or not if you have a cold feed blockage.

You still have not answered whether you have checked your f&e tank in the loft :confused:

is that the smaller tank in the loft?

the guy is hopefully coming back tomorrow morning to look at it. Will tell him to look at the f&e tank. What does this stand for?

cheers

I switched the CH switch off and the boiler sounds normal now. Radiators all getting back to normal. Its only with the CH switch "On" that the "jet landing" noise occurs. Is this normal?

thanks again.

Hi everyone,

I've got the same boiler with the same problem - only that it's been doing it ever since I moved in about 6 months ago.

Boiler seems to work fine for about 15 minutes, then I get the "aircraft landing" screeching, and the boiler goes off for 20 or so seconds. Then it comes back on and about half a minute later, the plane lands again!

As well as the screeching, there's a sort of whooshing sound from the boiler, this can also be heard from some of the radiators.

There's a "High / Low" switch on the front and it only does it on the "High" setting. Unfortunately the "Low" setting is just too damn cold at this time of year!

Is there an easy fix? Is this air in the system? I've bled the radiators.

Any help would be very grateful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back