Ideal Icos HE 15 Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there.

I have got the above boiler and 2 days ago it started making a really loud banging noise as well as clicking/cluncking etc.

Yesterday I tried to fire the cycle up, the 'C' symbol came on and the burner light came on.

After 10 seconds the banging/clicking started again and the burner light started flashing. The 'C' symbol was still showing with no error messages.

Now I understand the burner light starts flashing when the water has been heated or the central heating has reached the temp on the thermostat but the boiler is not staying on long enough for it to heat the water or radiators.

I have tried resetting the boiler but the banging noises start again and the boiler does not heat water/radiators.

I have had a problem in the winter with the condesat pipe where it froze up and I had to give the external pipe a whack to clear it. The 'LF' fault code was flashing for this.

As mentioned above there is no error code but there is this terrible banging/cluncking noise about 10 seconds into the cycle.

I have read that it might be something to do with the 's-trap' being blocked?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my girlfriend won't be too impressed with washing with kettle water for long.

:mrgreen:

Many thanks

Marlboro

Sponsored Links
new pump needed probably

Thanks for the reply mate.

Is the pump located within the boiler or is external to the boiler?

Do I need to get a GHE to fit it or do you think I can do it myself?

Where is the best place to get a pump?

Thanks again.

I always advise men wanting to impress a girl NOT to start DIY jobs for them but to call a professional.

To impress a girl do something which is unlikely to go wrong. Like taking off your shirt and digging the garden!

Tony

Sponsored Links
I always advise men wanting to impress a girl NOT to start DIY jobs for them but to call a professional.

To impress a girl do something which is unlikely to go wrong. Like taking off your shirt and digging the garden!

Tony

:mrgreen:

I can tell you I won't be undertaking the repairs myself.

Just wanted to see what the potential faults could be before I asked for the help of professionals.

As mentioned above I had a 'LF' fault at xmas and managed to resolve the problem myself.

This sounds it might be a bit more complicated.

:(

I sometimes get called by women to sort out DIY jobs their partner has messed up.

In one case the man was clearly consigned to the front room ( I could see his boots as I passed the door ) and obviously instructed to stay there. He must have felt very stupid.

get someone in to fix it or get a fixed price repair off ideal
its not a hard job to replace a pump head though even easier if isolation valves are fitted

get someone in to fix it or get a fixed price repair off ideal
its not a hard job to replace a pump head though even easier if isolation valves are fitted

Just been quoted £245 off Ideal to come and repair it including all parts etc (although excluding the heat transfer unit???).

Does this seem fair or can I get the parts and labour cheaper?

Thanks.

Right an update.

I have been up into the loft and the pump doesn't seem to be working.

I turned the hot water taps on and the header tank is filling up so I don't think it's a mains water problem.

When I turn the boiler on whilst the hot taps are running the boiler still bangs but not as bad as before. The boiler light starts flashing after a short while though and still doesn't heat the water or rads.

Would the pump in the loft be causing this problem if it is not working?

Is there a pump situated in the actual boiler which could need replacing? There is not fault code displayed on the boiler.

Apologies for the long winded post.

I appreciate the advise.

Cheers.

The only pump you have is the one in the loft, you would have probably had it replaced by now. Ring your local Heating Engineer.

Just choose whether you want Ideal to do it or local RGI.
Ideal is more expensive, but will work out more cost effective if it turns out to be a case of multiple fault. Local chap will be cheaper if it is just the pump.

Not much point in trying to figure out all the possible faults as nobody can really tell until you physically test the system.

Hi, going back to the original query of noises. I had a blocked condense line firstly going into the drain on a swept T joint. Then the L F came back on after a while and still noises before hand. Took bottom cover off, far back right hand side take screw out and slide panel out to the right. Underneath you can see a black trap going to your white plastic drain. Unscrew pipe fitting, undo 2 screws. Twist and pull down and a little wiggle if stuck. No hitting it as only plastic. This is the S bend which will be full of grit from the burning process. Bash out in bin and wash out. Be careful as 'O' ring on top (make sure in place when it's put back). The trombone noise can only be the air and blocked water in the bottom of the boiler. Mine is now quiet and working great. PS please switch of boiler before working on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back