Ideal Elan 50NF boiler problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have an Ideal Elan 50NF boiler that won't light the pilot light. Its electronic ignition, it sparks fine, fan and pressure switch work but there is no gas at the pilot light.
There is 240v on the red lead to the gas solenoid when switched on so I've come to the conclusion that the gas solenoid is U/S.
The problem is I've removed the pilot solenoid (both pilot and main gas solenoids are in a single unit) but can't find a part number. It has a manufacture date of 09/90 but nothing else.
Does anyone know what the part number is or how I could find out (web suppliers of solenoids don't show pictures, just part Nos)?
Also, is there a reliable way of testing the solenoid(s) on the bench?
Thanks.
Paul

Sponsored Links
test if the solenoid has a resistance, if its open circuit thats the problem.

you can usually hear them operating too.

Thanks very much. Yep, EV1 is open circuit. Phoned round a couple of suppliers and it turns out that you can't replace the solenoids, the whole valve has to be replaced!. They're not too expensive at about £70 but really - total valve replacement for the sake of a faulty coil.
Paul

The solenoids may well be available but many suppliers prefer to sell the complete valve ( more profit! ).

If you post a picture and give the exact model number of the gas valve plus a picture then someone might offer you a used, but good, one if you have your email in your profile.

Of course, only a CORGi should replace gas valves/parts as the burner pressure needs to be checked after tampering with the gas valve!

Tony

Sponsored Links
elan has a green button honeywell (minus the green button in this case) doesnt it? im having a blond moment and cant remember if the solenoid can be changed or not.

The valve is a SIT-830 Tandem part no. 0830020. Both solenoids come in one unit which simply bolts onto the side of the valve itself.

The valve is a SIT-830 Tandem part no. 0830020. Both solenoids come in one unit which simply bolts onto the side of the valve itself.

looks similar to the vokera mynute GV, you can get the solenoids seperate for that.

mynute uses the sit tandem 0830030. it uses the solenoid vokera part number 0750, GC number is 379669, wouldnt like to stick my neck out but i reckon that solenoid would fit. price will be around £35 probably plus VAT.

Thanks to all but after some extensive searching tonight, I've managed to not only track down the SIT part no for the solenoid but have also found a site that sells them.
Happy days......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back