Old Worecester Boiler with a pilot light not staying on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a really old boiler and I can't find a model number anywhere on it. When I lit the pilot, it wouldn't stay on, so I changed the thermocouple twice just in case the first new one is also faulty but the pilot still wouldn't stay on. Is it correct to assume the faulty part could be the solenoid or the gas valve. There is definitely power (240v) at the solenoid terminals and the resistance reading at the termainals is 54k ohms. Any help is very much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Is it correct to assume the faulty part could be the solenoid or the gas valve.

solenoid won't affect the pilot light

sounds as if the gas valve is defunct

unless you are competent you need to get somebody in (CORGI reg)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your replies. The pilot flame is certainly reaching the thermocouple. And it is too old to have an over heat stat.
Kevplumb,
Quote:- solenoid won't affect the pilot light
What is the function of the solenoid? And are these gas valves repairable? I am having a job finding anyone stocking these valves.

Not overtight thermocouple connection (finger tight + 1/4 turn)
not high limit interupter (try reset or temp bypass to test)

Flame established but wont stay no overheat stats......
My dollar is on the FFD.

Beg your pardon,,, the solenoid is the part which opens the valve to allow gas to the main burner, when required (for want of being to technical)

where the thermo couple joins the gas valve is there a little connector with a wire attached.

First rule Kev never believe the customer. :confused: He maybe right . But Think all old worcesters where low water content boilers with an over heat stat somewhere.

namsag wrote, Quote:-
where the thermo couple joins the gas valve is there a little connector with a wire attached.

Answer is yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back