Ideal FF240 Boiler - whistle Hum and Possible Fan Rattle ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let's start this so that no one is under the illusion I know what I am talking about - I'm a girl (lady), not much knowledge other than a readers digest know how with show how book but lots of enthusiasm and a quick learner !

As a single mum I try to tackle any simple diy tasks; a) because if I don't there's no one else to! and b) finances dictate!

So I am hoping that the problem with my boiler is a simple one that I can do it myself!

So onto the problem.....

The boiler is an Ideal FF240 and the controller is a Lifestyle LP241.

My boiler is making a humming, whistling noise that started over the last couple of weeks. It seems to be when initially starting from cold and once the heating is up to temp and is clicking on and off, does not do it all the time but on occasion.

The boiler also makes a noise, again I think when starting initially which sounds like a fan possibly making a loud rattling noise. I have noticed other houses in the close making the same noise, which can be heard outside. The estate was built in 2000.

I have read some posts on this forum about 'kettling' and wondered if this could be my problem, but I don't want to start something that may make it worse or may be a bit over my head.

I can change a light fitting, tile a kitchen, paint, put oil in my car! So I'm not completely helpless, but I do have a limited strength of a woman.

Please can anyone give me some constructive and hopefully positive advice that I can fix these problems without too much expense.

Many thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
I think you need to get someone in to look at this one. There is nothing much you can do without getting in to areas where only competent people should be.

Sorry can't be more help.

Hi Elkato

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that would not be the case, but I totally understand and appreciate that yes maybe this is a time I have to accept a professional
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
We have an Ideal Response combi boiler. After about 2 minutes, it whistles like a kettle for about 5 minutes. I mentioned it to our engineer who said it was the fan. On the positive side, this has been going on about eighteen months and the fan is still working.

The Ideal Response and the FF240 are completely different types of boilers.

Nevertheless, it could well be the fan at fault. They are not too cheap though.

If it fails completely ( quite likely ) then it could take a few days to get the right one. So my advice would be to get it sorted out while its still working. There may be ways to repair the existing one.

Gas registered engineer!

Tony

your problem is most certainly the fan,a known fault on this boiler.as said previous,you need an RGI to change,it will fail in the not to distant future.

Thank you to everyone that has posted a reply to my question. All were very much appreciated.

I have a registered gas gentleman coming tomorrow!

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back