ideal HE24 HE30 HE35 - no hot water, heating yes, Error h6

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Sorry for my first post to be a request for help, but here it is...

I'm in the UK, and have a Ideal Boiler HE24 or HE30 or HE35.
Not sure which model, but the hand book covers all of them, and the boiler has no markings.

My problem is this.

The heating works. Seems to be a lot of air in the rads. Have now bleed most of this out. (it now v hot in the flat) :oops:

Ok, but the new problem is that the hot water only gives out hot water if the tap is at low speed, turn it full on and its runs cold.

Now that I've turned the heating on, turned up all the rads and bleed them all I get the error message H6 flashing on the boiler.

The hand book only covers error codes H1 to H4. great.

Can anyone give me some clues please?
I'll call Ideal tomorrow and see what they say.

Also the flat was built 3 years ago, and the boiler was installed then.

Thanks
Jeff

Sponsored Links
When you turn the power on what number comes up on the display? 5 is a HE30.

Are you sure it is H6? Even my factory supplied hand book doesn't list this one :eek:

H codes are the serious ones that need reseting by turning the power off to the boiler at the wall and not the reset button on the display.

sadly until a couple of weeks ago there was a resident ideal guy, he's been scared off by the locals though.

sadly until a couple of weeks ago there was a resident ideal guy, he's been scared off by the locals though.

Sponsored Links
What scared him?

Others views on Ideal boilers?

I suspect the initial code only shows what the PCB is set for and not necessarily what the hardware really is!

We had a good laugh when I encountered a "new code" not in the book. The answer came back from the design team "boiler fault".

Tony

Yes, Ideals are prone to deliver unknown fault codes. Probably because their designers knew they were cr ap so programmed them to display at present unknown, but future faults :LOL:

Agile said:
What scared him?

Others views on Ideal boilers?

Tony

i assume it was the general hostility, i myslef added my dislike to their boilers. he/she was way beter than anyone i've talked to when i've needed info that wasnt in the M.I . the more people who are on here working for boiler manufactures the better.

We all take stick on here, but as always if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. I think all of us regulars get as good as we give, or vice versa. bacardi taking its toll now :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL:

Vaillant like thier undocumented fault codes too ;).

the ideal guy was treated very fairly really. We all said several time that criticism was nothing personal. Still waiting for the MD to post on here though ;).

OP What are your ACTUAL flow rates that you refer to? When you run the taps does the pipe on the far left of the boiler get hot? This could be a PHE blockage or dodgy diverter valve. What does the bottom left of the inside of the boiler look like? Is there a plastic box with Honeywell in it, or a red plastic doobry with a curved bottom.

The model of your boiler should also be on a sticker on the bottom left hand underside of the boiler.

thanks for the repsonces guys.

I'm at work at the mo, but will check it when I get home.

I think the boiler shows '7' when I turn it on at the wall.

and yep, def H 6, will take a pic of it when I get home.

When I first turn on the boiler (heating off & water not running) I can hear something turning on and off, and its quiet loud. Sounds a little like valve oping and closing.

I've not looked inside yet. Will do tonight. + will post pic

Does anyone have a contact number for me to find a 'service engineer' in the midlands/Warwick area.

Jeff

I think 7 is saying it is a HE35. The noise you hear when you switch on could be the DV moving in a self check mode.

Edit; Is there any chance the 6 could actually be a 'b'? If so this is telling you there is a problem with the reset button, probably stuck in, on the display panel.

Thanks gas4you. :D

The trouble is when I tried it this morning, the noise continued for a 5 minutes. I then turned the bloody thing off.

3 years old, argh. not impressed. :evil:

Could be DV, they can sound like a ratchet when they go faulty.

Hot water problem could be the DHW thermistor, this acts as the flow switch on these boilers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back