Ideal HE24 System Boiler Condemned!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well in 1 way glad for obviously reasons.

BG came to do 1st check over, we've taken homecare out after we'd had issues with the frozen condensate and the boiler that it is.

It was 5 years old last November. Said away set co2 alarm off. He took the 'combustion' cover off and it was marked. He said that the lower seal on the heat exchanger near the burner was perishing and over time the leaking could eventually kill. Its been capped off

I have no issue with this and obviously am glad of this although a cold snap coming and Friday last thing ain't the best time to discover it with 2 young children.

He said it might be worth ringing ideal as certain seals have a longer cover? Otherwise BG are around £400-£600 to replace the heat exchanger.

Does this price seem reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Contact Ideal & request a "Fixed price" repair this would be your cheapest option ;)

Sponsored Links
Had read about this in other threads but thought it may only cover unidentified faults and not ones that you know what it is and the boiler capped off?

A couple of years ago a customer had an Ideal Icos with a leaking heat exchanger, I told him to try for the fixed price repair.
Took about a month for them to ok it but they fixed it in the end for just over £200.

could have cried when he said it. Said its a bad fault for a boiler of this age.

So if I ring Ideal Monday this would be covered under their fixed price agreement? Don't want them coming and charging me but not doing anything.

To be fair to the BG guy he was very good didn't feel pushed into a repair or a new boiler with them!

not supprised he never, there a pig to repair!!!!

if its capped off, an you know the fault they would not do it.

or very unlikely I work for them on some contracts & refuse when i go.

had to relocate a ideal icos 24 he this week what a pile of tosh.
Its four years old and is fit for the skip. Was thrown in by eaga guys.
Im spoilt installing Viessmans, Vailiants and Gloworms.

Oh btw i hope noone ever needs any flue components for icos or istars the metal ones as ideal has made them obselete. 247boilerspares in birmingham only place in country who still have a few bits. Bought a joblot of ideaL/

i run a fixed price repair scheme for isar's and icos's.

for £275 + vat i will attend, protect your property with the appropriate dust sheets and covers, safely isolate the boiler from the gas supply, then smash the offending item part by part from the wall.

it will never trouble you again, guaranteed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back