ideal icos boiler - high pitch noise no display/burner light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi any advice would be appreciated. i have an ideal icos boiler about 5 years old. the past couple of days it has been making a high pitch noise so ive turned it off waited a bit then back on and within 20min its making it again. also i usually see the blue burner light on and the display is c and these are blank and the pressure gage is just below 1. i have no idea about boilers but if you have any advice ill give it a go as long as its step by step. thanks nikki

Sponsored Links
I am not so sure about the whine. Its not a foghorn kind of noise is it?

Turn boiler off and repressurise the system to about 1.4 Bar using filling loop. See the FAQ on this nsite for more help.

Tony

get it seen to asap as it is most likely a loose burner or the insulation coat hanger clips have failed. both will allow the burner to melt the back of the heat exchanger ! oh what a ****e design!!

the only other thing i can think of is crap in the system.

the display will most likely be the harness has come off the pcb. take front cover off, loosen the central screw allowing the pcb to come forward the harness is top right hand corner (4or 5 pin plug) press it back into place. and put pcb & cover back. it isn't unusual for the pcb/control panel to be shagged £210 for a retro kit £160 for just the PCB robbin stewards!!

Sponsored Links
it will be a blocked heat exchanger, if the temp diffs are above say 15 degrees on this blr the burner will just cook the hex..

not v good for a condensing blr i know!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back