Ideal Icos Boiler - No Central Heating?

Actually I haven't.

I informed them all that Ideal do a fixed price repair for £220, or £300 with a years insurance thrown in.

Out of the five with HE's gone at 3-4years only one took up the Ideal option to repair.

The others said they wanted nothing more to do with Ideal in any form, especially their call centre staff :eek:

There was no pressure from me, well there was I suppose, in that I kept asking them if they were sure this as the option they wanted to take.

I do not need the work, in fact it is a total pain in the ar*e now trying to fit them in to my already overworked and full schedule for the next couple of months.

Apart from one idiot engineer, whom I am proud to say got sacked after an official complaint, all the Ideal engineers around my area have always been very good and knowledgable.

The problem always actually getting the call centre to accept there is something wrong with the boiler and get an engineer out is another story :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Morning all,

Thanks for the replies :p

The repairman came today and confirmed it was the Zone Valve. Exactly the same as my neighbours :rolleyes:

He quoted about £140 fitted which I am guessing is a good price because the part is about £100 apparently.

My next question if someone would be so kind to answer,

These Zone Valves. What are the odds of mine and my neighbours going withing a week of eachother then? (bare in mind they were fitted at the same time, 30 months ago) Would you class this as a co-incidence or something more like an inherent fault? Should I expect this new Zone Valve I am getting to fail after another 30 months?

Thanks again in advance.

Actually I haven't.

I informed them all that Ideal do a fixed price repair for £220, or £300 with a years insurance thrown in.

Out of the five with HE's gone at 3-4years only one took up the Ideal option to repair.

The others said they wanted nothing more to do with Ideal in any form, especially their call centre staff :eek:

There was no pressure from me, well there was I suppose, in that I kept asking them if they were sure this as the option they wanted to take.

I do not need the work, in fact it is a total pain in the ar*e now trying to fit them in to my already overworked and full schedule for the next couple of months.

Apart from one idiot engineer, whom I am proud to say got sacked after an official complaint, all the Ideal engineers around my area have always been very good and knowledgable.

The problem always actually getting the call centre to accept there is something wrong with the boiler and get an engineer out is another story :rolleyes:

why don't you ask the ideal guys to get the parts for you on their discount would save you and your customers some money

It aint the pump on yer system mate at all.
The boiler is not getting a call for heat.
A wee simple check is to take out the five pin plug underneath(turn off power to system at fused spur)
Hold it in your hand with wires away from you and the wires on the right are your call and switch live.
Disconnect these two wires and put a loop in between the two terminals plug back into boiler and it will light.
This proves external controls not calling for heat.
If it is a two two port (S plan) and you are getting hot water but no heating then it narrows it down to the zone valve (stat normally clicks if 240v to it).
If none working could be a fault at these wires at boiler.
Hope this helps if it is a synchron motor or actuator needing replaced both are very easy to do and shouldnt cost you too much!

Thank you very much. I followed most of your advice and realised that it wasnt my icos but one of the two zone valves next to my water tank upstairs.

One was a honeywell which appeard to do the hot water and the other (Siemens DVA 2/5 Demountable actuator) appeared to do the central heating.

I had checked the ch thermostat,controller and boiler wiring. The display showed 0(no heat reqd) when CH was on but C and led lit when i put the hot water on so i knew the boiler worked.

I went to the Siemens zone valve and moved the AUTO switch to Manual. HEY Presto the Central heating kicked in. All the radiators are now working.

My question is: the zone valve has moved its switch back to AUTO of its own accord. Is it safe for me to keep moving the switch to manual every time?

Sponsored Links
why don't you ask the ideal guys to get the parts for you on their discount would save you and your customers some money

That would be wonderful if many of them were inclined to be that helpful.

The impression I get of staff engineers is that they just want to do a quick and efficient repair when thats what they are programmed to do but dont want to be in any way involved otherwise.

Of course there will be a few exceptions!

Tony

Although it is safe, it is extremely inconvenient to keep putting the valve to manual.

Replace it, or the head, whatever is necessary ;)

I am wrong its not your PCB nut something outside

is everything calling for heat? Programmer on etc

as for a housebuilder looking into the best boiler for reliabilty etc I think they dont think further than "what is the cheapest"

:)
You dont half talk mince at times. Do you actually understand how an Icos works....Pcb ....Pcb
External controls not calling for heat. And Icos and Isars are not cheapy boilers in the slightest. Most calls I come against are instal or poor water quality or wiring faults! :evil:

WTF are you talking about, lets address the carp that you speaking.

1 I misread the original post which I think you will find that I apologised for and then started down the road of external problems, and i would like to see where i have "Minced" about talking about PCB's my old china. Or are you saying that the loss of the display is not usually the main pcb failing?

2 I LIKE the Icos/Isars I think you will find that I am in the minority who enjoys working on them.

So take your "mincing" comment and shove it up up your jacksee Sham

Gawd blimey but me blood is rising

Oh well, the only one on here that thinks Ideal are any good, now peed off by a service engineer :eek: :LOL:

The post is a few months old now Matt.

Oh well, the only one on here that thinks Ideal are any good, now peed off by a service engineer :eek: :LOL:

The post is a few months old now Matt.

See I NEVER read a post thoroughly

lmao

I dont think they are "good" I just think they are as shyte as everything else out there now.

Anyone with an Ideal boiler that is more than 24 months old are on borrowed time before they get a massive bill.

Best thing is to do what 4 of my customers have now done, had the carp Ideals ripped out at 4 years and replaced with a make that will last.

A HE going at 3 to 4 years on a clean system is just plain carp design.

Ideal can't hide behind blaming installers anymore.

The only ones fitting this rubbish these days are Warmfront, which says it all :rolleyes:

Most Warmfront installers wouldn't now what a gas boiler is if it fell off the shelf and hit them :eek: :LOL:

What rubbish why not try and solve the issue not the installers? or warmfront they provide a service like any one else .Seen what you so called Proffesional fitters can do Lmao :idea: :?: To Many CASH -CONVERTORS AROUND .i THINKS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back