Ideal Icos Constant Flashing Burner Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me.
2 days ago we heard banging sounds coming from the boiler and rattling in the pipes, I switched the boiler on and off and it started up ok, with the C boiler status and the burner light flashing and then igniting.
The problem since is that the burner stays on only for about a minute or less and the burner light continuously flashes all the time, after a while (could be minutes or hour) the boiler ignites and follows the same pattern of staying ignited for about a minute and then the flashing burner light again. The pump upstairs stays on all the time while the burner light is flashing so basically never shuts off unless we turn the timer/boiler off completely.
This only happens with hot water, the burner ignites and stays on with the heating on, until the house has warmed up and then switches off, bit goes back to flashing burning light again.
The problem seems to be the hot water side of things.
We had a new zone valve fitted yesterday as well as a new hot water cylinder thermostat, but this hasn't changed anything and the burner light is still flashing continuously as if something is calling for it and only igniting for short periods before returning to flashing.
The hot water is heating up though, but taking longer than normal.
Any ideas please
(Just one other thing to make things more confusing, my partner just ran a bath and the water was hot and the boiler switched on and ignited and has stayed ignited for approx ten minutes but then has gone back to the flashing burner light)

Many thanks for your time and any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying, the pump is working (all the time) and since the first day we haven't heard any more banging etc. Could this still mean it's faulty even though it's worked fine since, just the flashing burner light as if something is calling for heat?
The engineer thought the banging was an air lock?

The flashing light means the boiler is receiving a call for heat but is already within it's running temperature range.

Just because the pump appears to work, does not mean it is doing the job adequately.

If everything is working and there are no more noises put it down to a one off and live on. But be prepared for a new pump at some point in the future.

Possibly.

Sponsored Links
There isn't any more strange noises, just the constant flashing burner light, like you said something calling for heat and the boiler igniting on and off for a minute or so then flashing again. The boiler never goes to standby anymore and constantly receives the call for heat and the pump constantly on??
The water is getting hot though and heating works??
I thought it might be the zone valve or cylinder thermostat, but as these were replaced yesterday it wasn't that.
One other thing, the new cylinder thermostat is set at 60 and the boiler thermostat is set one notched done from max, if we move the cylinder thermostat down a little bit the pump switches off and the calling for heat light goes out, but then the boiler doesn't kick in again when needed and the water goes cold in the tank. If I put it back to 60 on the thermostat and switch the boiler on and off again it then follows the same pattern as above (calling for heat constantly) but heats up??

Did you ever find the solution? As I have the exact same problem with mine. I have been told that it is an external electrical commend error, not a fault with the boiler at all.
But as yet haven't got any solution. No one seems to know what to do.

Did you ever find the solution? As I have the exact same problem with mine. I have been told that it is an external electrical commend error, not a fault with the boiler at all.
But as yet haven't got any solution. No one seems to know what to do.

Did anybody find the solution to this as mine has just started to do it flashing all the time and the pump never switches off and gets really hot and the water isn't that warm either.

Thanks
Julia

Did anyone find a solution to this. Mine has started doing it all the time now.

Is it a pump issue?

Dont Hi-Jack an 8 year old post it is against site rules for good reason, start your own post

Ok apologies, It is ok to copy and paste and the exact same question?
yes of course, it just gets so confusing when posts are Hi_jacked, you end up with multiple different brands and models and you will never get the correct advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back