Ideal Icos HE12 heat exchanger disintegrating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
As above, I have an Ideal Icos HE12 heating boiler which started to make a very loug vibrating and banging sound. Got a RGI to come out and take a look and he thought it is the gas valve so ordered the part and came to fit it today. Before fitting it he thought he'd have a look at the heat exchanger and make sure that is OK.

On opening up the sump cover plate and looking in with a torch, we could see small pieces of metal shards (dark grey/black). Also found them in the condensate pipe. RGI thinks the heat exchanger has had it and therefore more cost-effective to replace boiler.

Is the above a good indication of the problem stated above? Anything can do before take the hit and have to replace the boiler?

Thanking you in advance,

mads

Sponsored Links
It's common on these boilers to find grey sludge in the sump and trap. It needs a good clean out and combustion test, as long as it's working and is safe just leave it.

These boilers aren't great to be honest but no sense in changing it unless it's causing you trouble.

I would say that its more of an indication that you have not bothered to get it serviced anually!

When its no longer useable the heat exchanger will leak internally and then thats the time to get the boielr replACED.

Is he quite sure the gas valve has failed? Thats very unusual on that model.

Most often the PCB !

Tony

I agree, I don't think the bits indicate a damaged heat exchanger just normal burnt soot etc. My main concern is the output of 12kw, I hope you haven't got more than a couple of bedrooms, preferably one, since 12 kw isn't much to heat water and rads.The boiler is definitely a cheap open and try and get a better quality one next time. Keep this one until a major expense occurs.

Sponsored Links
I agree, I don't think the bits indicate a damaged heat exchanger just normal burnt soot etc. My main concern is the output of 12kw, I hope you haven't got more than a couple of bedrooms, preferably one, since 12 kw isn't much to heat water and rads..

Pete... really? It's not soot. But it is perfectly normal on a poorly maintained Isar.

12kW is plenty for quite large properties. 4 bedroomed detached properties for starters with a decent control system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back