Ideal Icos HE12 rcd tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A few months ago my ideal Icos front panel started flickering and the boiler would not work unless I put pressure on the front of the boiler. I had an engineer take a look and he replaced the board which didn't work but when the old board was replaced the boiler started to work normally. The boiler then worked well for a week or so but has now started tripping the rcd. I've taken the front cover off and can't see any leaks or trapped wires etc so I'm a bit stumped. I haven't removed the main boiler cover only the part showing the condensate valve etc. I did notice a bit of residue around the condensate pipe and some discolouration on the copper pipe next to it but no moisture at present. Is it safe for me to take the main cover off to check for leaks, it says not to run the boiler with this off so won't. Any ideas before I look into it more. Could a blockage in the condensate pipe cause the boiler to trip. The boiler only trips once a week and mostly first thing.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The inner cover should only be removed and refitted by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer. It forms the safety room seal which protects you

It sounds like you need a boiler engineer familiar with this boiler (preferably with the detailed technical manual to hand) to do some thorough electrical tests and diagnosis. If you can't find anyone locally, Ideal offer a fixed price repair service with 1 year warranty

The rcd tripping fault may not be inside the boiler and could swell be from your motor valve(s) or the pump.

An Ideal boiler fixed price repair will not cover anything outside the boiler case.

Best to get a more competent engineer than whoever you engaged who seems to have left without identifying the fault you had then.

You should ideally also get someone who will come on a no fix no fee basis as you should not be paying someone without the skills to identify the fault you have now which is probably a new one.

What you have said about fitting a new part which did not make the boiler work and needing to replace the old part sounds odd !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back