ideal icos

A

angelf

My ideal icos is making a whooping noise when it is on..any suggestions as to what the fault may be? Pipe size of gas has been increased to 22mm

Sponsored Links
Is this when the boiler is running, or when it first fires up?
Does the boiler cut out on LF or keep on running? Do you have to reset it?
When was the boiler installed and where does the White condense pipe terminate?

Answers:
yes when it fires up
3what does LF mean?
dont have to reset it
installed 2yrs ago
Any help?

Sponsored Links
Check Gas pressures (inlet and dynamic), check impulse tube to gas valve not full of moisture.
Check flue doughnut seal.
Check condense and sump not full of water

The reverb noise is usually an air gas mixture problem of some kind!

get an rgi in to check or reset the combustion
We do not advocate changing the gas valve off set at all!!!!!
If wrong, replace as if you are doing it wrong (and you will be as we dont tell you how) you could increase the CO reading significantly!

If wrong, replace as if you are doing it wrong (and you will be as we dont tell you how) you could increase the CO reading significantly!

If that's ideals policy, what's the justification for it, assuming the rgi onsite has an analyser?

If that's ideals policy, what's the justification for it, assuming the rgi onsite has an analyser?

they want to sell more gas valves thats what! Just another example of Ideal boilers being absolute crap.

they want to sell more gas valves thats what! Just another example of Ideal boilers being absolute crap.
Dig, dig, dig! You really are an angry little man with a massive fecking chip on your shoulder.
Did mummy not pay you enough attention as a child?

Dig, dig, dig! You really are an angry little man with a massive f*****g chip on your shoulder.
Did mummy not pay you enough attention as a child?

You've ignored my question.
Is that because he's right, it looks that way from what you wrote.

I've never had any inclination, or need in fact to want or have to adjust the gas valve settings. As the MI's don't tell you to, or indeed the Ideal training centre, I leave well alone.

I do however, always check an Icos or an Isar with a FGA if the flue is accessible for my own peace of mind, mainly to check that everything has been put back together correctly after my service and to make sure the insulation panel hasn't dropped after ther burner has been put back on.

As always I leave a print out stapled to my service sheet.

Theres enough problems with these boilers without the like of me/us being careless on a service ;)

Its more to do with mucking about with the offset can cause more of an issue than just changing the gas valve(which is actually easier)

The outlet pressure is -11pascals on a functioning gas valve taken at maximum gas rate however as the boiler fluctuates on the flow and return sensors quite a bit on CH or HW it is very hard to do properly.

Yes you can take the co2 reading and check combustion but if the gas valve is still out slightly you can still get a problem as it goes to low fire with a whooping noise.

Common sense tells you if a maker of a boiler, car etc tells you something is a sealed unit for a reason, then why try to circumvent this to save yerself a bit of money(which you would pass on to customer anyway) and could lead to a bigger safety issue??

Thanks for the answer, but it's not very impressive to have to change a gas valve that may just need adjusting, because the manufacturers don't provide a service button like others do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back