Ideal Isar 24HE Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an Ideal Isar 24HE boiler that has started leaking from the boiler unit itself. Think its related to hot water as it seems to leak after we've had showers etc. I've lifted the front cover panel and water seems to be collecting on the bottom cover panel. Electrics are still working at the moment but I've read elsewere that this can lead to electrics going...

I also noticed a couple of weeks ago that what I guess is the condensate trap (white box about 10cm square fixed below the bolier) was leaking out the top (I've been stupidly busy and not got round to getting anyone out top fix it)... Do you think these could be related?

Got a guy coming out but it'd be helpful to have a bit of knowledge before he comes so I know what I'm in for!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its impossible to even guess which of the possibilities applies in your case.

Some of them damage the PCB which is expensive so its sensible to get it fixed and ideally not to use it before its fixed.

Tony

The guy came round and it seems to be a leaking auto air vent. Problem is that it's going to be after the weekend till they can fix it and it's leaking on the PCB - It's switched off but still leaking. I asked the company and they said we'd just have to hope it doesn't damage the PCB. Is there any way I can stop it leaking? Really don't want to shell out for a new PCB too!

Sponsored Links
good suggestion but I'm a complete novice - is it easy to do? if so any step by step instructions would be appreciated!

That's poor service. Only an auto vent hardly rocket science and a pretty standard item.

Only an auto vent hardly rocket science and a pretty standard item.

you have experience in replacing one of this model ?

I doubt it!

agree they should have drained the pressure out of the boiler and isolated.

so they came round and changed the auto air vent and a couple of other bits, puts pressure in the system and still leaking...
They now say it needs a hydroblock and full A ring set...
Shouldn't they have picked up on this on the first vist?

Its easy to see the leaking AAV and assume thats the only leak!

But it was a bit stupid not to just depressurise the boiler to stop it leaking!

But....

Hi All,

Sorry to revive an old thread but the problems I am having are the same. A week before Christmas we had some water leaking underneath the boiler (nothing with this boiler as it has happened before) so I decided to call out a gas safe registered fitter to diagnose the problem. He looked at the leak and mentioned it was coming from the heat exchanger and that the washers/rings would need changing. After replacing the initial rings it continued to leak so he kept changing rings until it appeared to stop leaking he charged me £65 for changing the rings. Moving forwards 2 weeks or so this past Sunday it has started to leak again. So he came round and told me that the diverter valve manifold needed replacing since seal on it may have corroded. Now this part is going to cost £110 not counting labour yet. Is this reasonable in terms of diagnosis and cost of repair as the costs are racking up and at this rate I could be better off with a new boiler. We would have never had bought this boiler but was installed by the warmfront installers like others.

Any feedback and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You have nor revived this thread but added your own when you should really have started your own.

They are not terribly good boilers and any boiler can start leaking and particularly when five years old. Have you ever had it serviced? A proper service can sometimes pick up leaks before they do damage.

The seals on the secondary heat exchanger rarely leak but they can. This fellow seems very cheap and yet you are complaining. I would have charged £84 to come and diagnose the fault plus £4 for the seals.

If the manifold is leaking then it needs replacing. Sometimes they can be repaired but that is time consuming and my charge would work out the same as a new one so its better for the client if I fit a new one.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back