Ideal Isar Boiler Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My boiler is just over 4yrs old and I've already had a new control panel installed 2yrs ago. Just got another problem now whereby radiators are on all the time. Heating engineer here repairing it now, said it's the diverter valve which he's now replacing but when he took the front of the boiler off there was a small spark from a wire touching the casing of the boiler, he said it was nothing to worry about and it happens all the time. A few minutes later he said he'd have to replace the control panel again as the spark had blown it...I questioned him as I thought it a little odd. Does anyone know if that is possible?

Sponsored Links
Hi

Yes it was still switched on. It ended up taking 2hrs to repair and it was actually the diverter valve that was the original fault.

He told me he only had one control panel left in his van but when he finally finished he told me he had to try 3 before he got it to work, hence my concern about what he was telling me! He also admitted that he should've isolated it first before he took the cover off! Luckily I have insurance cover so I've not had to pay but didn't trust the guy and wouldn't have been happy if I'd had to pay! He knew I was claiming against a policy.

Don't quite know how there was a spark this should have been impossible.
The guy sounds like an idiot.
Keep the insurance cover you are going to need it with an Isar they are
terribly unreliable and you can count on a failed pcb every 2 years virtually like clockwork.
I refuse to repair them now unless it is a small cheap fault to repair. I just offer a replacement quote.

Sponsored Links
Did he at any poi remove the fan and look at the heat exchanger?

There's a few things he should check/change everything he works on an isar

Ionization Probes & Spark Electrode... Both fail regularly

Hi BlueMoonMole & dcawkwell...thanks for your posts.

Not sure if he removed the fan or not...I left him to it after a while.

When he removed the front of the boiler a plastic cap had come off one of the wires and it touched the outer casing....it was the fact that he said that it was nothing to worry about then after realising I'd got insurance cover he decided it had blown the PCB...just found it a little odd. So pleased I've got cover on it. The original PCB needed replacing 2 weeks after the 2yr guarantee had expired!! At least it's working properly again...for now!!

Hmmm, I might not think he was telling the truth after telling you it was nothing then saying pcb needed, there are a few rogues out there but maybe he was genuine.

What insurance co. are you with??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back