Ideal Isar HE24 - Heat Exchange issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So...

Major problem with HEAT EXCHANGER - need advice.

At the end of 2008 (early December, so about 4.5 years ago). We had central heating installed for the first time. An Ideal Isar HE24 Combi boiler. Not long after we had to replace the PCB (a well documented fault with the old black PCBs meant it burnt out. We now have an orange PCB).

About four weeks ago the DHW stopped working on our Ideal Isar HE24 Combi Boiler. CH was working fine, albeit a little erratically - starting up despite the connected remote thermostat being off (Siemens RDJ10RF).

We got a good Plumber recommendation, who came out to look at the system.

He diagnosed a knackered diverter due to the system not getting cleaned out since installation (Yes - I've learnt my lesson there).

He replaced the diverter and the system seemed to work fine...for a day!The DHW went again.

The plumber suggested it was the level of sludge in the system that was causing the diverter pin to stick, so he came and completed a full flush of the system: putting in cleanant, leaving it for a couple of days, returning and flushing the system til clean, and then adding some softener to stop the sluge build up.

However, six days later the DHW went another time. Water pressure had dropped below 1, and this time the PCB showed the error code L9, which from the installation/service manual and online forums is a possible block in the heat exchange (or a pump problem).

On the morning of 28 May (after advice from plumber and online forums) I simply turned the boiler off, topped up the water pressure, and reset the boiler. This worked and we got hot water once again.

But then overnight from Friday 31 May into Saturday 1 June, the boiler stopped working, again with an L9 code. When I tried to reset it nothing happened, apart from the L9 code changing to the three lines on top of one another (like a 3 without the side bar).

Later in the day we discovered a significant leak from the boiler, which yesterday the plumber identified as coming from the Heat Exchanger.

So...clearly we have a significant (and costly) problem. Here are my questions:
1. How much might we look to spend on a new Heat Exchanger?
2. How long does this job typically take?
3. Why might this have happened?
4. Might the other works have caused this problem?
5. Should this problem develop in less than 4 years on the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Ideally a fixed price repair from Ideal ( or perhaps BG ).

Usually about £330.

Or be naughty and take out BG insurance cover. Wait two months then report the problem. About £200 per year. Probably best kept going ready for the next time!

Quite a common problem with a cheaper to buy boiler which does not have a good reputation for reliability!

Tony

I may be mistaken but maybe worthwhile getting another opinion. Could be the pump has srized and boiler is ovrrheating/leaking through auto air vent.
oretty sure that three lines symbol is an overheat code, sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

3 vertical lines indicates boiler has been reset from a l9 code and is waiting for the boiler water temperature to drop to below 50 0c before it will fire up again,waiting time for boiler to fire up will be at least 30 minutes if the circulation through the boiler is correct.

Sponsored Links
Since they are only likely to make a quick visual inspection of the pipework and do an FGA then its very unlikely a small leak in the HEX will be noticed!

Tony

could be the dry fire stat is leaking but as someone has already said check aav isn't leaking also

Since they are only likely to make a quick visual inspection of the pipework and do an FGA then its very unlikely a small leak in the HEX will be noticed!

Tony
Isars and Icos are given a thorough inspection, at least when I worked there. Would not pass up a chance to fail one of those turkeys!!!!!

Tony

lol shows how much you know, I only pass around 40% of isars without a repair being made (which would be chargeable)

The first engineer did not identify the leak on his first or second visits!

An occasional drip in a wet condensate drain is going to take a suspicious engineer to discover!

I would want to collect condensate pipe output for 15 min but only AFTER a 15 min drain period to ensure previous condensate production has all run out.

With a customer I would ask them not to use the boiler for an hour before my arrival to save me time if I suspected an HE leak.

I was called to a Keston C55 with a system leak which was under BG cover and they had failed to find the leak after several visits. The customer was happy to pay me £84 to identify the leak. Armed with my suspicions I was able to find the HE leaking within 10 min!

Tony

in the area I work I do a lot of the first visits, and with the current climate I am suspicious of most of the customers joining contract. I am even more suspicious wen they have one of the most problematic boilers on the market!
despite what you think bg engineers do carry out a 1st visit, they do strip down the boiler and inspect the system. by carrying out the initial visit to bg's procedure's it is really easy to pick up faults especially wen you are looking for them.
I always ask if there is anything wrong, if its a easy/cheap fix I would do the repair foc
in my opinion the op is better off being honest and declaring the fault, this way he is more likely to get the fault sorted cheaper and without being messed about.

I also agree that the OP and everyone else should always be honest.

The BG option was only included for the sake of completeness and not to encourage the OP to be dishonest. That's why I said it was naughty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back