Ideal Isar HE30 Combi Boiler - Replace Diverter Valve Head ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

We have an Ideal Isar HE30 combi boiler and recently it has decided that it will not supply domestic hot water and will instead send it to the central heating radiators which are now always warm/hot.

The kitchen and bathroom hot water taps are barely warm when run and the bathroom shower is stone cold when run. The boiler seems to work fine apart from the lack of domestic hot water - it goes through all of the motions on the display changing from '0' (no activity) to 't' (preheating water) to 'd' (supplying domestic hot water) and the burner comes on and stays on for however long is required.

I have it on good authority via the web, a plumbers forum and the manufacturer of the boiler that this is a faulty diverter valve head.

I have obtained the correct replacement diverter valve head and I telephoned two recommended heating engineers to see if they can fit it. The first one that I telephoned said that he would not work on this brand of boiler and he was very busy at the moment, the second has not got back to me yet.

I have downloaded the installation and servicing manual for the boiler and the diverter valve head looks like a doddle to replace. I have also checked the diverter valve head that is already in there and I cannot operate the white plastic lever on the side it does indeed seem to be stuck solid.

I've done my research and I'm fairly confident of the steps I need to take to do this myself, and was wondering if I could have a little more advice on here please from those in the know/some confirmation I have done my research correctly.

From what I gather I need to depressurise the system, which I can do either by removing a couple of cupfulls of water from the filling loop or bleeding a radiator - but do I really need to do this step?? I see conflicting information where some say you don't have to do this.

The last thing I want is to be sprayed with water.

Then I need to turn the gas supply off where it enters the house, and remove power to the boiler (I'd turn off the mains switch to the boiler system, and remove the fuse).

Then unscrew the main casing which I did yesterday of course to check I was ordering the correct diverter valve.

Remove the diverter valve by unplugging the electrical connector, giving the head an anti-clockwise turn and pull it out.

Then I need to put some high temperature silicone grease (which I already have coincidentally) on the O-ring, fit the new diverter valve by pushing it on and a clockwise turn this time then reconnecting the electrical connector.

Then I put the casing back on, turn the gas back on and the power. Then repressurise the boiler back to the correct level (1.5 bar) cross my fingers and test to see if it now operates correctly.

I am also wondering do I need a replacement O-ring at all or will the silicone grease on the old one be sufficient?

Your help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What a load of waffling. Are you changing just the valve head or the internals of the diverter valve? The most common fault is that the valve is siezed and the head is perfectly ok.

Sponsored Links
What a load of waffling. Are you changing just the valve head or the internals of the diverter valve? The most common fault is that the valve is siezed and the head is perfectly ok.
Wha he said. It will be plastic diverter cartridge ideal part number 174200. 10 min job to change

Have I got the wrong bit then? I thought it was the head that needed changing. That's the part I've got, it's a VC6012-34

Ps you will get very wet I'd you don know what yer doing. Even aft draining boiler you get another 2-3 litres of water(very hot if boiler was on) when cartridge is removed.
Head replacement requires no draining and is a 30 sec job

shambolic";p="2228367 said:
Ps you will get very wet I'd you don know what yer doing. Even aft draining boiler you get another 2-3 litres of water(very hot if boiler was on) when cartridge is removed.
Head replacement requires no draining and is a 30 sec job[/quote

You don't if you know what your doing :rolleyes:

I've took off the diverter valve head, the white lever on the side of it won't move at all - it's stuck facing the rear.

Inside where the spring attached to the white lever rests is a metal spindle, this is covered in a layer of black sludge.

Put the new diverter valve head on and still the same.. no DHW..

onlyfitidealboilers";p="2228468 said:
Head replacement requires no draining and is a 30 sec job[/quote

You don't if you know what your doing :rolleyes:
I now what I'm doing but ;)

before replacing anything i would check the shaft on the valve itself isn't stuck ;)

How do I check the shaft? Do I need to depressurise or drain the boiler?

remove the head of the valve, pull the pin/shaft (with the spring below it) with a pair of grips towards you. if ya can move the shaft towards you then it was stuck. test ya hw..
for a temp repair you can remove the valve and spray sum wd on the inside of the valve and work the shaft which norm gets it going

Ok so I pulled the diverter valve pin forwards with a pair of pliers and run the DHW but still the same... rather alarmingly the pressure gauge spun round and 'clicked' so I turned the boiler off then!

The original diverter valve head now seems to be stuck in the opposite position to before i.e. white plastic tab towards the label area..

Does this mean the whole diverter valve is bust? :rolleyes:

Put the new diverter valve head on and still the same.. no DHW.

What did you expect? We told you the head is not at fault !

The fault is a jammed valve. You can push or pull the pin and IF it moves SHOULD give you DHW or CH.

They can be jammed very tightly though!

Tony

Wha he said. It will be plastic diverter cartridge ideal part number 174200. 10 min job to change

You must be a very quick worker!

The last one I changed was on a Biasi Aquapiu although the same part.

Whilst it would rotate, with difficulty, it would not pull out. I had to resort to carefully breaking it up in situ whilst preventing the bits droping inside the boiler.

Took me most of 30 min!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back