Ideal Isar m30100 - it drips, and I'm losing sleep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an isar installed just over 2 yrs ago. It works fine, but just over a year ago it developed a drip. It became noiser and then packed up with a fault code. Called out Ideal (made the warranty cut off by a matter of days) and they replaced the fan, and advised that the installer hadn't installed the flue properly and water (condensate?) was coming back into the unit. I tried to get the installer to come back - the one time they responded they promised to get an o-ring. They never came back to me after that. Funnily enough the problem went away as winter became spring/summer.

Guess what? It's started dripping again. I have called out another fitter and he reckons the Isar is poorly designed, over-complex, tends to unreliability - he reckons that often this is about how the condensate runs back into the unit.

There is some visible damage inside the unit. The fitter is recommending that he take it apart to see if the burner is damaged (and that requires a pack of gaskets to be bought).

In the meantime the boiler is working fine. Occasionally (usually first thing on a morning) it can sound a little noisy (that could be subjective - i.e. when I have a thick head).

I have some questions:

1. Are Isar's as bad as they have been made out (another fitter - unreliable - did mutter something darkly about them).

2. Anyone care to hazard a guess at the likely problem(s) and prognosis? Ultimately am I looking at a huge repair bill, or is a replacement (after only 2 years!?!?!?!) really on the cards.

3. How much will a set of gaskets and seals set me back?

4. Have I got any sort of a case with Ideal (I have extended warranty) - it excludes known faults - but does that not extend to design faults?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
In asnwer to your comments.

1, No they are much worse!

2,The Flue seals are likely to be at fault. A common problem

3, £20 or so

4,Very unlikely. I stopped fitting Ideals when they bought out the ICOS and ISAR range. There technical support is poor too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back